Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

View Poll Results: How many of these albums would you buy in Hi-Rez 24/96?
0-10 6 27.27%
10-30 8 36.36%
30-50 1 4.55%
50+ 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2007   #31

Default Re: Download the Top 100 albums spreadsheet here, then post your own top 10 here

I can tell you Jeff Beck isn't anywhere close to the list.

Many others are VERY GOOD picks....
Old 09-24-2007   #32

Default Re: Download the Top 100 albums spreadsheet here, then post your own top 10 here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I can tell you Jeff Beck isn't anywhere close to the list.

Many others are VERY GOOD picks....
I knew he wouldn't be. But I couldn't help myself. That, and There and Back are GREAT albums.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #33

Default personal picks: Jeff Beck

Personal picks are part of the fun of compiling such a list.

Thanks for sharing yours!!!!
Old 09-28-2007   #34

Well... this was not as easy as i thought it might be.
First, we went through the offered list of 177 albums.
Both my wife and I found 50 each that would qualify in our Top 100.

Then we listened to tunes in the music room for 3 or 4 hours while pouring through albums and cee-dees. We added another 83 albums to the candidate list, from which we selected the balance of our Top 100. Whew - Part A completed. Now we think we have the list for ourselves to whittle down to 10.

We really gave a lot of consideration to "staying power" - albums we continue to listen to and enjoy.

Here goes mine (in no particular order) off the original list:
1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
2. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper
3. CSNY - Deja Vu
4. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (though I really would love to have included I also)
5. Pink Floyd - DSOTM (admittedly the single LP I have the most copies of, including a "blue triangle")

Then off our own list of additional favorites:
6. The Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach (part with Duane, part without. A bittersweet album to always remember him by. Yes, Live at the Fillmore East was certainly a candidate)
7. Jackson Browne - For Everyman (the most "non-rock" album I listed to for many years, and certainly one o the few I truly listened to the lyrics, rather than just the music, of)
-. Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live (okay, this is a cheat, since it is a double live album that's got an incredible collection of his work, plus a darn good DVD to watch also)
8. Peter Gabriel - Us (fine, if you feel So is better, so be it, pun intended)
-. Don Henley - End of the Innocence (I see I'm going to go over 10, so I suppose this will just fall off the list - darn! The title cut is certainly my political theme song!)
9. Elton John - Yellow Brick Road (hey, if you were around when this came out and listened to Funeral For a Friend, admittedly very loud, you were hooked. We still listen to it... very loud)
10. Joni Mitchell - Blue (okay, not when it was released, but as I've aged, I appreciate this more and more)
-. Pink Floyd - Meddle (jeez, still over 10, guess this one just falls off. Heavy sigh)

No, I won't bore you with the 83 additional albums we added to the candidate list, but it sure reminded us there has been an incredible selection of fabulous music we've gotten to enjoy over the years.

It was tough to leave off Hendrix, Stevie Ray, and even Johnny Winter as my favorite guitarists, as was Zappa the rapper/composer, and too many more to list.

Last edited by DaveC; 09-28-2007 at 05:06 PM..
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #35
Administrator

Default Top 100 albums list released!

Here is the list to the AVRev.com "Top 100 albums of all time".

http://www.avrev.com/rock-albums/

After you have read the list, enter to win all of these albums by taking our annual reader survey available at

http://www.avrev.com/avrevforumcontest/
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #36
Administrator

Hey everyone, the official list has been posted.

The link to it and a contest to win all of the top 100 albums on CD is available here on this thread..

http://www.avrevforum.com/showthread.php?t=825

Good luck and be sure to post your personal top 10 list.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, album, albums, audio, blogspot, boingo, cd, max, midnight, oingo, quality, sound, top, vultures, webster