Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

View Poll Results: How many of these albums would you buy in Hi-Rez 24/96?
0-10 6 27.27%
10-30 8 36.36%
30-50 1 4.55%
50+ 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007   #91

Default Re: Download the Top 100 albums spreadsheet here, then post your own top 10 here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Tough to pick fault with this list.

Hell Freezes Over wasn't anywhere near my Top 10 but many of these were.
This Eagles album scored very high because the 5.1 mix is damn-near perfect AND they performed so many hit songs during this performance!

In retrospect, it might not have been fair to include this album in the voting, because it is actually a Greatest Hits record.

And if you open it up to "Best Of" albums, then the Stone's "Hot Rocks" would surely score in the Top 10 !!
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #92

Default Re: A great point about recording technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
In 1993 to make a record you needed a $1,000,000 SSL console a $100,000 Studer analog tape machine and about $1,000,000 worth of gear to make a record. As we learned in music school (I have a degree in music business which means I had to learn how to make a record - not a bad skill for a critic to have) you had to think twice before recording as you would waste tape, need to make a TON of edits etc... Tape was $$$ and edits were done with a RAZOR blade!!

Bands and Artists STILL need production and good engineering.
Couldn't agree more . . . where are the truly committed labels and producers today the likes of what appeared (regularly, I might add) on Sheffield, MFSL, DD Labs, Pablo, M&K Realtime, JVC, Telarc, etc., etc. ????

Back in the 80s I spent a lot of time with the Sheffield folks and co-produced a limited-edition (5,000 copies) "demo" version of Amanda McBroom's "Growing Up in Hollywood Town". I had the pleasure (and great honor) of attending a number of their recording sessions and am still in awe of the massive amounts of talent, creativity and sheer genius that went into them. Great stuff that, fortunately, has mostly made a decent transition over to the digital world.

During this period Grammy award-winning producer Jeff Weber became a good friend and we collaborated on another limited-edition demo album "Digital Gems" that featured his work with a broad range of artists (David Benoit, Toni Tennille, Luis Conte, etc.). While I'm certain that there have been some excellent recordings made since the early 90s they're certainly much fewer and further between than what was appearing in the 60s, 70s, 80s & early 90s.

Last edited by MoosePond; 10-05-2007 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: corrected typo
MoosePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #93

Default Re: Download the Top 100 albums spreadsheet here, then post your own top 10 here

Judging from what I see in other people's lists I believe they are a lot younger than me and listen to mainstream sources.I guess I have criticized enough and I will put my top 25 to pen and paper. There is really no particular order it, it depends on my mood.
1. Jethro Tull - Stand-Up
2. Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
3. Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps Live
4. Johnny Winter - And Live
5. Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
6. Santana - Viva Santana
7. Savoy Brown - Live and Kickin'
8. Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe
9. Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
10. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
11. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
12. Johnny Winter - Let Me In
13. John Coltrane Quartet - The Complete African Brass Sessions
14. Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsy's
15. Savoy Brown - Blue Matter
16. Jethro Tull - Benefit
17. Robin Trower - 20th Century Blues
18. Tinsley Ellis - Highwayman
19. Michael Burks - I Smell Smoke
20. Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
21. John Mayall - Archives to the Eighties
22. Ten Years After - Undead
23. Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave
24. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
25. The Who - Who's Next
eltabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #94

Thumbs up Great list

Great list.

VERY different than our results. Some real out there picks.

I love it.

Thanks for sharing...

j
Old 10-05-2007   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltabor View Post
Judging from what I see in other people's lists I believe they are a lot younger than me and listen to mainstream sources.I guess I have criticized enough and I will put my top 25 to pen and paper. There is really no particular order it, it depends on my mood.
Lots of great picks,eltabor... but I must ask:

How can a fan of Savoy Brown leave RAW SIENNA off their list?

I've never used a "Needle and Spoon"... but Chris Youlden's amazing vocals during this studio session, always made me feel like I was right there with him!

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #96

Loved your post eltador
Some of my real favorites I'd have included if I'd have gone just a little deeper beyond just 10.
Great to see the 2 Johnny albums in the list one vintage (who from that era didn't play JW And Live until the vinyl wore out?), one much later.
And I agree with Undead on the list. One of my all time favorites. And, like many albums, I can tell exactly what I was doing when I heard that one first from opening track to last (admittedly on an Ampex - which avoided flipping them over).
fabulous post and just plain fun to read through
a couple vintage LPs I'll pull out this weekend for sure
thanks
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, album, albums, audio, blogspot, boingo, cd, max, midnight, oingo, quality, sound, top, vultures, webster