Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

View Poll Results: How many of these albums would you buy in Hi-Rez 24/96?
0-10 6 27.27%
10-30 8 36.36%
30-50 1 4.55%
50+ 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2007   #67

Default Re: Snubs, complaints and hate-mail about the top 100 albums list

I would have liked to see more diversification in the Metal/Rock selections.

Not taking away anythinng from Metalica, but four albums making the list is probably too many.

What about Iron Maiden (think "Piece of Mind" or "Powerslave") and one of my personal favorites, Queensryche, "Operation Mindcrime?" The sound quality on these albums in not the greatest for sure, but the songs, performance and sound are first rate.
NYR 2008 Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #68

yes music sales down are dramatically but I'd be willing to bet there is just as much music being listened to now as there has ever been. People are just doing it in different ways (internet radio, myspace, podcasts) that don't generate huge money for the big 4 record lables.

Technology has given "power to the people" and anyone can make their own record with a computer and a handfull of microphones. Instead of relying on some lame music executive to tell you what new artists you should be listening to, the internet has made it so people can find cool new music that they would normally never hear about. And you can run into some amazingly funny stuff along the way. Check out "Chocolate Rain" by Tay Zonday and all of the hillarious spoofs of it... I think the original video has received over 20 million views so far.

Dirk
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #69

I heard you found out about that record at The Faultline in Studio City...

"Put them in the Iron Maden"

http://www.faultlinebar.com/index2.html

(please don't ask HOW I know about the Faultline - its a LONG story that I can only start with "I used to live in West Hollywood"
Old 10-01-2007   #70

Default A great point about recording technology

Technology has given "power to the people" and anyone can make their own record with a computer and a handfull of microphones. Instead of relying on some lame music executive to tell you what new artists you should be listening to, the internet has made it so people can find cool new music that they would normally never hear about.

------

You make an EXCELLENT POINT.

In 1993 to make a record you needed a $1,000,000 SSL console a $100,000 Studer analog tape machine and about $1,000,000 worth of gear to make a record. As we learned in music school (I have a degree in music business which means I had to learn how to make a record - not a bad skill for a critic to have) you had to think twice before recording as you would waste tape, need to make a TON of edits etc... Tape was $$$ and edits were done with a RAZOR blade!!

Today you can "make a record" on a Macbook Pro with a Sure SM57 and $3,000 total worth of gear. Edits are free. Tape is gone.

And the results speak for themselves.

Look at the work of a musical genius like Prince who's music went down the absolute TOILET when he started recording at home. Compare his "Black Album" with the "Symbol" album. Huge difference. Symbol is a KILLER record.

Bands and Artists STILL need production and good engineering.

And don't get me started on music industry people. You and I are in the same boat on that one...
Old 10-01-2007   #71

Default Re: Post your 100 Top Rock Album list results here

Here is my top ten list:

1. YES - Close to the Edge
2. Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
3. The Beatles - Let it Be
4. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
5. The Beatles - Abbey Road
6. King Crimson - Red
7. The Who - Quadrophenia
8. Jethro Tull - Benefit
9. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
10. King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
NYR 2008 Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #72

Default Re: Top 100 albums list released!

I feel retarded, I can't find the new list, where is it?
j.arend-denko@adelphia.ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, album, albums, audio, blogspot, boingo, cd, max, midnight, oingo, quality, sound, top, vultures, webster