Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

View Poll Results: How many of these albums would you buy in Hi-Rez 24/96?
0-10 6 27.27%
10-30 8 36.36%
30-50 1 4.55%
50+ 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2007   #55

Default Re: Top 100 albums list released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR 2008 Cup Champs View Post
So Peter Gabriel has four albums in the top 100 and Bob Dylan and Elvis have none and the Stones and Bowie have one?

It's a poorly constructed list at best. A very biased assessment of rock music. They should have called it "Chuck, Ted, Jerry and Howard's Favorite Rock Bands" instead.
---------

Spoken like someone who roots for a team who missed the playoffs 13 times in a row and 13 of the last 14 years....

I personally listened to Blonde on Blonde and it just plain stinks.

I also listened to a number or Rolling Stones records to be SURE I was being fair. I was - with the exception of Tattoo You - they are poor. The Stones must be apreciated for their body of work less than one COMPLETE record. I also need to thank Mick, Keith and their mananger for turning me on to Il Mulino in NYC. It took me 11 years to get a table there but it was WORTH IT. STUNNING food. I go EVERY TIME I am in the city ESPECIALLY after watching the Smurfs get clobbered by a better team.
Old 10-01-2007   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR 2008 Cup Champs View Post
The list is cliche and narowly focused. The authors don't take much if any chances. "Dark Side" as the #1 album?....ho hum....sigh.

How about Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" or Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood?"

And as far as Steely Dan is concerned, "Aja" over "Royal Scam?"

And while probably less popular, I would have preferred to see Genesis, "Wind and the Wuthering" or "Trick of the Tale."

And Honorable Mention Lists are cop-outs. Man up.

--------

You can criticize this list for a LOT of things but ignoring "Progressive Rock" isn't one of them.

Lamb Lies Down on B-Way, Court of the Crimson King etc....

Speaking of laying down on B-way, the Rangers did that for 13 years in a row. And by that I am referring to JUST how many times they missed the playoffs in a row.
Old 10-01-2007   #57

Exclamation Tales of Topicogrpahic Oceans missing?

If I had my way Tales would have made it.

Talk about a concept record. 4 songs on a double album

And WHO can argue that chanting from the Shastric Scriptures is a bad idea (assuming you are high as HELL on hash)
Old 10-01-2007   #58

Tales from Topographic Oceans is one of my favorite albums.

Years ago my best friend airbrushed a 10' x 5' mural of Tales on my bedroom wall (which is still there in my Dad's house....17 years ago....I should try and dig up a photo...it's unbelievable). I remember he could not afford to buy a compressor for the air brush and instead used a car tire as an air source....which he would take to the local gas station every few hours to refill with air. All that said, Tales shouldn't be on the list.

Yes is my favorite band and I'm willing to freely admit that I was surprised to see three Yes albums make the list.
NYR 2008 Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #59

Default Re: Snubs, complaints and hate-mail about the top 100 albums list

The list had 175 albums on it and judges could petition to add a record if they wanted. That didn't happen too much.

Look at the body of work for YES and then compare it to The Rolling Stones. Same time frame but YES has better overall records like Close to the Edge and Fragile. Also compare the musical ability. Its not even close.
Old 10-01-2007   #60

You gotta post a picture of that!!!!
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, album, albums, audio, blogspot, boingo, cd, max, midnight, oingo, quality, sound, top, vultures, webster