Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   Prince Sues fans for You Tube postings (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/714-prince-sues-fans-you-tube-postings.html)

JerryDelColliano 09-17-2007 06:51 AM

Prince Sues fans for You Tube postings

http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com...wn-prince.html

This is a post from my father's Blog - InsideMusicMedia - where he blasts Prince as the MOST unlikely person to start filing law suits.

This time, the purple one is mad because fans are posting his performances on You Tube. After a number of smart moves that shows he knows the new music consumer - this one reverts back to an old standard - using the fans - that the RIAA proved enthusiastically didn't work.

My take is: Prince should take every lick of free publicity he can get for his new record because as a LONG TIME fan I can say the new record stinks.

---

My father is a clinical professor at the University of Southern California's Thornton School of Music. He works with record labels and technology companies to navigate the future of music in an ever changing technological world. He was the publisher of the radio trade publication Inside Radio for 26 years previous to taking the position at USC.

David DelGrosso 09-17-2007 08:41 AM

Re: Prince Sues fans for You Tube postings

Here's the part that I don't understand...

This Editorial insists that: There is no hope for a record industry that is so lost that it thinks fighting YouTube is a worthy use of its time. When a major artist like Prince wages war against "The Great Viral Way" you just know in your heart of hearts that the record labels just don't get it. They don't understand their customers.

What is it that they "don't understand"? That "their customers" believe that it is their right to openly "steal" content that has been registered as intellectual property?

To me... there is "no hope" for a human race that refuses to pro-actively reform the unethical use of digital technology.

According to a C-Net report, Web Sheriff has recently removed over 2,000 unauthorized Prince videos from YouTube. And it is becoming widely understood that "Their business model is built on making money off other people's creative work,", as Web Sherriff president John Giacobbi emphatically reported to Reuters.

Are we really willing to laugh off the validity of this complaint, simply because of Prince's peculiar personality and controversial past?

DD

Robinson_A 09-17-2007 10:12 AM

Honestly, fans should sue Prince for making a horrible album.

just my two cents.

kennyt 09-17-2007 11:49 AM

I'm with you Andrew! His last album SUCKED Monkey %$@# (sorry Andrew, hope the monkeys don't take offense!) I know why he gave it away, if he charged for it, HE likely would have been sued!

What happen to the musically gifted little dwarf we all fell in love with in the 80's and 90's?? Old age has made his music and ideals fall to ****...

BTW Jerry, I opened the site before reading it was your dad's blog... I though you really aged poorly after Denver and losing the golf tournie!

KT

David DelGrosso 09-17-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson_A (Post 2924)
Honestly, fans should sue Prince for making a horrible album.

just my two cents.

OK... but if that's the case, then these fans should all be committed to a mental institution, for willfully stealing "horrible" material online.

Despite how many reasons one can state for not liking Prince or his antics, the REAL animosity should be directed towards human beings who think that it's "no big deal" to STEAL digital copies of intellectual property, period.

Without a relentless outcry for ethics and integrity, the entire music industry is eventually gonna be zipped into one enormous digital file of horrible sounds.

DD

deacongreg 09-18-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David DelGrosso (Post 2918)
Here's the part that I don't understand...

This Editorial insists that: There is no hope for a record industry that is so lost that it thinks fighting YouTube is a worthy use of its time. When a major artist like Prince wages war against "The Great Viral Way" you just know in your heart of hearts that the record labels just don't get it. They don't understand their customers.

What is it that they "don't understand"? That "their customers" believe that it is their right to openly "steal" content that has been registered as intellectual property?

To me... there is "no hope" for a human race that refuses to pro-actively reform the unethical use of digital technology.

According to a C-Net report, Web Sheriff has recently removed over 2,000 unauthorized Prince videos from YouTube. And it is becoming widely understood that "Their business model is built on making money off other people's creative work,", as Web Sherriff president John Giacobbi emphatically reported to Reuters.

Are we really willing to laugh off the validity of this complaint, simply because of Prince's peculiar personality and controversial past?

DD

David, its just a different time. This is not about Prince. Its like you said, people don`t care about the music as much, or the artists like we all did. Music is for background, for working out, how many songs can I store on my I - pod?! Look, I have more than you do??!! What!!

Sure, there are a few, but not the majority, I bet. So, that is where it is right now.