Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 05-23-2011   #25

Default Re: CD, SACD & DVD-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZ Baz View Post
This thread is of May 2010 but I have now come to a point I wish to share with all those who responded to my first post of 17.05.2010, especially to GrtGrfx.
I am settling on Onkyo TXNR R609 AV Receiver that is capable of playing 44.1kHz/16 Bit up to 96kHz/24 bit FLAC music files from my external hard drive via the USB port. Unfortunately it is not capable of playing 196kHz/24 Bit FLAC music files (which are now becoming available for download from a few websites).
If any member knows of a way to play these files directly from a hard drive, please respond.
I will be using the Cambridge Audio 650BD to play 196/24 from CD/DVD discs-no FLAC files.
I hope there will be a reasonably priced hardware that can play 196/24 high res FLAC files.

William
I wish to add my progress and hope some replies to a few misgivings of my setup.
First of all I am not able to look at all the posts I may have put out on this Forum. On some other Forums, I pick my username and I can see my full stat and all the Posts by me. Can anyone guide me how I can do that here so I may avoid duplication of my requests as I do not wish to be a nuisance but to continue to receive help.
1. I have ripped a few Redbook CD to FLAC (44.1/16 res) and saved on an external HD. When I play the FLAC track (via USB to Onkyo TXNR609) it does not sound as good as the same track on the CD played through Cambridge Audio 650BD and the same receiver/speaker system. The 96/24 downloaded tracks play but I am not able to compare as the downloaded file is the only copy.
2. Is the FLACK file from the HD inferior because (1) the ripping drive LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B (about 5-7 years old) is not good enough (2) the data transfer from the HD via USB to the Receiver is degrading or (3) the Receiver is not reproducing the full resolution? The receiver does have 192/24 DACs and CD/SACD/DVD-A played on CA650BD through the Receiver is very good.

Would anyone care to attempt answers and GrtGrfx my very helpful member have you any suggestions?

Regards
William

Edit: I have found how to see all my Posta. Thanks

Last edited by LaZ Baz; 05-23-2011 at 08:16 AM..
LaZ Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #26

Default Re: CD, SACD & DVD-A

hello,
Yes, If you had a Mac you could convert files into Apple lossless (which does allow track info), but even that wouldn't matter as you cannot record directly to the Apple lossless format, because it's only available in iTunes which has no recording capability. In any event, Apple hardware Lossless is no better than CD (16 bit/44 kHz) quality, and it seems you want better. The quality of your sound conversions will be colored by your computer's noisy power circuits. Wish you cheerful!
keke007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, cable, cds, component, computer, connect, dvd, dvda, lichfield, players, sacd, sacds, true, uk, video