Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 04-11-2011   #19

Default Re: CD, SACD & DVD-A

This thread is of May 2010 but I have now come to a point I wish to share with all those who responded to my first post of 17.05.2010, especially to GrtGrfx.
I am settling on Onkyo TXNR R609 AV Receiver that is capable of playing 44.1kHz/16 Bit up to 96kHz/24 bit FLAC music files from my external hard drive via the USB port. Unfortunately it is not capable of playing 196kHz/24 Bit FLAC music files (which are now becoming available for download from a few websites).
If any member knows of a way to play these files directly from a hard drive, please respond.
I will be using the Cambridge Audio 650BD to play 196/24 from CD/DVD discs-no FLAC files.
I hope there will be a reasonably priced hardware that can play 196/24 high res FLAC files.

William
LaZ Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #20

Have you considered connecting your PC to your receiver through its audio out ports, or possibly using an AppleTV or other such bridge and so using the PC as the playback device? I have connected my PC (through a VCR's audio inputs, interestingly enough) and from the VCR to the video's sound-in port of my A/V receiver. Video devices, as you probably know, have very high bandwidth capacity and audio through them might be as good as one of these super-high resolution FLAC files.

For this to work, you'd still need one thing: the software on the computer that can play back high-bitrate encoded music files. But if you used your PC for storage and decoding and your sound card for digital-analog conversion and output, I don't see why you could not get these files to play through your receiver.

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit30 View Post
I have about 15 SACDS and one DVD - audio, The Dvd -A is the best in my book, but i would need another one to compare. It is Vince Gill's "High Lonesome Sound".
J
When your environment is really quiet, sit back and listen to "Telarc Surround DVDA-70451-1812 Overture by Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati pops Orchestra"
Listen out for the choir, bells and the canons popping. It is a DVD-A on one side and DVD-Video/DVD-Rom on the other.
I will get the High Lonesome Sound and try it.

William
Old 04-15-2011   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtGrfx View Post
Have you considered connecting your PC to your receiver through its audio out ports, or possibly using an AppleTV or other such bridge and so using the PC as the playback device? I have connected my PC (through a VCR's audio inputs, interestingly enough) and from the VCR to the video's sound-in port of my A/V receiver. Video devices, as you probably know, have very high bandwidth capacity and audio through them might be as good as one of these super-high resolution FLAC files.

For this to work, you'd still need one thing: the software on the computer that can play back high-bitrate encoded music files. But if you used your PC for storage and decoding and your sound card for digital-analog conversion and output, I don't see why you could not get these files to play through your receiver.
Thanks for your response. I am trying to avoid using a computer on the chain (sitting room has enough HiFi gear at the moment). I am trying to use my external drive, a small 1Tb Seagate, which will have all my ripped CDs and downloaded High Res music files. CD rips will be fine as they will be 44.1/16 bit but it's just the 192khz/24bit seems to be a sticking point at the moment. Anyway I will enjoy whatever I can now.
Old 04-15-2011   #23

Smile Re: CD, SACD & DVD-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZ Baz View Post
When your environment is really quiet, sit back and listen to "Telarc Surround DVDA-70451-1812 Overture by Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati pops Orchestra"
Listen out for the choir, bells and the canons popping. It is a DVD-A on one side and DVD-Video/DVD-Rom on the other.
I will get the High Lonesome Sound and try it.

William
Maybe I have a little bias, but I think you're pretty optimistic if you think someone whose favorite music source is a Vince Gill DVD will be impressed by a classical music disk (no offense intended, William).

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011   #24

GrtGrfx,
You are probably right. No offence taken by anyone's opinions. Better to have a feed-back than just a wall of silence. I am hereto learn as much as possible and so far I have been enjoying the experience.
I was merely thnking that perhaps Jim was referring to the sound-stage, ambience and the feeling of the DVD-A surround created by the format and did not think of the Genre of music-Bluegrass. I do have a few Bluegrass CDs only on stereo, including one of Bela Fleck. Perhaps The Bluegrass Sessions [DVD AUDIO] of Bela Fleck could be tried by Guit30 (Jim). Though I have not heard it on DVD-A surround.

William
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, cable, cds, component, computer, connect, dvd, dvda, lichfield, players, sacd, sacds, true, uk, video