Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 11-19-2008   #1

Default SACD Worth IT?

I have a SONY DVD Player that is a few years old and it is supposed to be able to play SACD's through it's analog 5.1 outputs. My old Pioneer AV receiver did not have these imputs so I never tried AN SACD. I just bought a new Yamaha RXV3900 and Def Tech speakers and it is equiped with 7.1 analog imputs. Are the sacd's worth the extra investment ? Do they generally have surround sound encoded on them? Any info would be appreciated. Do any retail stores carry them or are they just available on-line?

Thanks CliffH
CliffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #2

Default Re: SACD Worth IT?

I would say it depends on a number of factors, for me I've just haven't found it to be worth it. One reason is I simply don't find there to be a wealth of music available in the format that excites me (definitely a personal preference, your taste in music probably differs so you may find plenty of stuff you like). Secondly, I just don't know that I have a system (or maybe it is listening habits) that really allow me to take advantage of the increased resolution.

That being said, I have had "wow" moments with SACD - especially Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, when I put that on with my full surround set-up it really blows me away.

As for finding SACD's, that can be a tough one, just finding a record store these days seems tough enough! But there are good resources online, I've used Acoustic Sounds (I think that is their name) and Amazon to buy the 5 or 6 SACD's that I own and I look out there occasionally to see if there is something new to get. Of course I haven't done that in a while, I vaguely remember the price turning me off a bit, maybe if I spent more time with dedicated listening rather than listening while doing other things I might have great appreciation.

Just my 2 cents based on my own listening habits and equipment. Just as a reference I use an Oppo universal player connected via HDMI to an Integra pre-amp with Arcam amp and Vienna Acoustic speakers, I also live in an apartment so am limited in my ability to really crank things.

I think it would be worth trying to find a disc you like and give it a whirl, you might find those wow moments are much more frequent than they have been for me.

John
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #3

YES! SACD& DVD audio are great!
Unfortunately the masses love their crappy MP3 players, & not many get produced anymore. Best Buy stopped carrying them some time ago.
The few I have I really enjoy.

You may want to save those 7.1 inputs for your blu ray player….

Lee
lrciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #4

"Are the sacd's worth the extra investment ? "

I would look online for places that sell SACD's and DVD-A's. If you find a lot of these discs that you would like to buy then it might make sense for you to get a good universal player like some from OPPO.

That said, I believe SACD and DVD-A are at a dead end. With the advent of Blu Ray and the superior bandwidth and data capacity, I would think that eventually there will be Blu Ray music discs with either pictures or video information. Hopefully one company will dive in and make a commitment, but I doubt the majority of pop music will make it to the format, or even benefit from the format, as most of it is rather disposable. It would be a good format for both classic and other excellent releases if they are properly mastered without all that overblown and overdriven music that is generaly released on CD's.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #5

Thanks fore the advice. I will probably buy one and give it a try. Is there any advantage to using the 7.1 inputs for a blu-ray player over the HDMI?
CliffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #6

You don''t necessarily need 5.1 channel sound to enjoy SACD. You can still run it in 2 channel. You will still gain a great deal of sound quality due to the ultra-high sampling rate offered by SACD and DVD-audio. 5.1 can be cool, but to me this presents a strange soundstage, especially if the recording is live. When do you sit in the middle of a performance?
weitrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2ch, 501, 71, buying, dave, dvda, listen, matthews, multichannel, p324, sacd, shelter, sound, surround, worth