Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 01-26-2009   #31

Default Re: SACD Worth IT?

Telarc, still makes SACD`s. Hybrid, so all can enjoy the music. I say, if your artist are available on it, and you have a player that will play them, get them and reap the benefits.

Otherwise, don`t hold your breath, waiting for the record companies to jump on board.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #32

Wink Re: SACD Worth IT?

I'll jump on the bandwagon and respectfully suggest that SACD and DVD-A are both worthy additions to any high end sound system so equipped to handle them. Because Blu Ray seems to have no real plan to issue music only discs, there still exists the possibility of new discs being released on both mediums, and both sound extremely good. As much as I love my vinyl, I believe that the SACD and DVD-A are sonically superior. Personally, I prefer DVD-A, since I can play them in surround mode in my Acura RDX - when I play them for most people, they are astounded at the sound quality, separation and surround mixes. At home, it is much the same, but in the vehicles so equipped, it is positively stunning.

As with anything, much of your decision must be based on the music types you like, and what aspect of surround sound is most intriguing. In my case, I am an addict for a great surround mix - probably comes from my first love of quad - both SQ and QS Matrix, and of course, CD-4. Being from that era, I love rock, jazz, pop and classical. From my perspective, the remixes of the classic rock material relased on SACDs and DVD-As, sound at the very worst, like the first day you brought home a new record - crystal clear with no pops, skips or crackles. At the best, they are a fabulous expression of the artist's / engineer's / producer's thought for what sounds great.

I purchase most of my SACDs and DVD-A's from on-line e-tailers and E-Bay. You will be surprised with the depth and bredth of what is still out there. I keep collecting becuase they are sonically superior to anything else available today, and as many point out, there is simply no guarantee that Blu-Ray will ever release anything that will take advantage of the medium.

Good luck
Stiletto_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #33
wes

Once one listen to good SACD recording from Linn, 2L, Telarc, Pentatone, Harmonia Mundi it's hard going back to CDs especially for Classical music.....
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Once one listen to good SACD recording from Linn, 2L, Telarc, Pentatone, Harmonia Mundi it's hard going back to CDs especially for Classical music.....
No question about that one Wes.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto_Pat View Post
Personally, I prefer DVD-A, since I can play them in surround mode in my Acura RDX - when I play them for most people, they are astounded at the sound quality, separation and surround mixes. At home, it is much the same, but in the vehicles so equipped, it is positively stunning.
Pat, I'm with you all the way. I have an Acura TL Type S and love to hear my DVD Audio discs in the car.

Steven
Old 01-29-2009   #36

Sorry I just came to this forum and read this and thought I'd reply to the OP, although a bit late (and probably irrelevant by now)...

Since you already have the player, I would suggest trying a few. Look to reviews for good ones (some are not much of an improvement), but more than that, buy discs you like the music (not just the quality).

Don't worry about saving the analog inputs for your blu ray player, because with that receiver, you will be using HDMI out from your blu ray player, not analog out. I also would ignore the suggestion (no offense) to pickup another player like an all-in-one, just because you already have an SACD player and are only toying with the idea of trying out a few SACD's. You have everything you need, pickup a few SACD's (and DVD-A's if the player does that also) and try them out.

Make sure you try a few 5.1 SACD's, some are just 2 channel (though not necessarily a bad thing).

Last edited by facesnorth; 01-29-2009 at 02:12 PM..
facesnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2ch, 501, 71, buying, dave, dvda, listen, matthews, multichannel, p324, sacd, shelter, sound, surround, worth