Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   High Resolution Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/265-high-resolution-music.html)

AVRevForum.com 07-16-2007 05:51 PM

High Resolution Music

Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

deacongreg 07-21-2007 04:00 PM

Re: High Resolution Music

Alright, since this is about high resolution music, I have an inquiry. The music I would like to see in this format, are the jazz and jazz fusion of the 70`s. Has anyone come across this music in high resolution?

Artists I`m talking about are, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Al Dimeola, Return to Forever, Jean Luc Ponty, Herbie Han**** (albums Thrust, & Chameleon), The Crusaders, Bob James, Grover Washington Jr. George Benson, Hubert Laws, Bobbi Humphrey, Donald Byrd, The Blackbyrds, Dave Valentin, people like this.

You seem to always see the same classical and rock titles. Along with the standard fare of Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Monk, etc. cds.
But what about this group? Any fans out there in this genre, please chime in.

jbk 08-01-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 1366)
Alright, since this is about high resolution music, I have an inquiry. The music I would like to see in this format, are the jazz and jazz fusion of the 70`s. Has anyone come across this music in high resolution?

Artists I`m talking about are, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Al Dimeola, Return to Forever, Jean Luc Ponty, Herbie Han**** (albums Thrust, & Chameleon), The Crusaders, Bob James, Grover Washington Jr. George Benson, Hubert Laws, Bobbi Humphrey, Donald Byrd, The Blackbyrds, Dave Valentin, people like this.

You seem to always see the same classical and rock titles. Along with the standard fare of Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Monk, etc. cds.
But what about this group? Any fans out there in this genre, please chime in.

I think this goes back to our other topic of Top 100 bands. Jazz fusion and Jazz are niche markets for record labels and don't have a broad audience like the 60's and 70's bands. There is a larger audience for the reissues of popular rock than jazz in any case.

I haven't seen any releases on 180 gram or 200 vinyl or sacd of the groups or artist mentioned in the quote. How about the Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire?

The reissues on 180 gr and 200 gr vinyl are the re-hash of the same rock and jazz albums everyone already has but continue to re-purchase in the pursuit of higher or better quality sound.

The only labels that I'm aware of making good recordings on music that I like on CD are Telarc, HeadsUp, Chesky and JVC XRCD.

In my experience, most music isn't high quality sound is because the public doesn't really demand high definiton or resolution sound. And, the record industry as a whole doesn't really care if they produce high quality recordings.

Because of this, it looks like SACD and DVD Audio are going to remain a niche market for classical and some jazz recordings. but I don't see record companies converting their catalogs to great extent these formats. And, I don't see any wholesale conversion rock to high resolution music.

Right now the music industry is too worried about people downloading music to their MP3 players and not paying them for the music. Don't forget that MP3 players aren't high resoluiton players. So we're training a whole couple of generations to accept low resolution quality music reproduction as a defacto standard.

So I'm going to rain on everyone's parade and predict that we won't get high resolution music for these or other groups. And, because Audiophiles and audiophile high resolution music are such a small percentage of the music and equipment market that we don't represent large enough market segment for the record companies to pursue.

JBK

deacongreg 08-03-2007 03:38 PM

jbk,

Whew, where do I start. I agree with everything you say here jbk. People, have always gone for convenience first, quality a distant second. Which is why(I know this is not the thread for this) we do not need another format war. Rather than taking ADVANTAGE OF HD, hdmi etc., we keep making it harder for the mainstream consumer to enjoy what the high end offers.

Alright, back to the music, I can not believe you brought up "The Mahavishnu Orchestra. I love John McLaughlin and their music. Apoycaplse is my favorite LP. I would love to get that in a Telarc Hybrid SACD or DVD - A. Or even an AIX recording. But, we know the deal with that.

Well, its good to know that you like this music as well. And who knows, its highly doubtful, but maybe someone out there will do it. Maha in 5.1, that we would be awesome.

David DelGrosso 08-05-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbk (Post 1517)
In my experience, most music isn't high quality sound is because the public doesn't really demand high definiton or resolution sound. And, the record industry as a whole doesn't really care if they produce high quality recordings.

Because of this, it looks like SACD and DVD Audio are going to remain a niche market for classical and some jazz recordings. but I don't see record companies converting their catalogs to great extent these formats. And, I don't see any wholesale conversion rock to high resolution music.

FYI... I have spoken with numerous major label execs about this topic, and none of them are against re-releasing vintage recordings in a higher-rez format IF they can sell enough copies to yield a decent profit.

The REAL obstacle is the perception (or is it a reality?) that MOST hi-rez enthusiasts utilize a main hi-rez playback system that is centered around a Hi-Def bigscreen monitor... and therefore, these consumers no longer sit around listening to music, with NO picture!!

That is why these music execs (who also control the video rights to these artists) are motivated to release a Hi-Def concert on cableTV or HD-DVD... but are reluctant to invest a lot of money producing hi-rez "music only" discs, with no picture.

So are they right? Has "listening to music in the living room" become a completely "lost art"?

DD

jbk 08-06-2007 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David DelGrosso (Post 1702)
FYI... I have spoken with numerous major label execs about this topic, and none of them are against re-releasing vintage recordings in a higher-rez format IF they can sell enough copies to yield a decent profit.

The REAL obstacle is the perception (or is it a reality?) that MOST hi-rez enthusiasts utilize a main hi-rez playback system that is centered around a Hi-Def bigscreen monitor... and therefore, these consumers no longer sit around listening to music, with NO picture!!

That is why these music execs (who also control the video rights to these artists) are motivated to release a Hi-Def concert on cableTV or HD-DVD... but are reluctant to invest a lot of money producing hi-rez "music only" discs, with no picture.

So are they right? Has "listening to music in the living room" become a completely "lost art"?

DD

David,
I think that there are two distinct markets.

One for hi resolution two channel playback. This group purchases form Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and elusive disc on the vinyl. Acoustic Sounds has it's own recording business that reproduces high quality vinyl from the master analogue tapes. There are other vinyl producers but I think that the records are pressed in Japan.

The second market segment consists of people converting to home theater entertainment systems and new to the market home entertainment systems. These are the HD DVD group and multi channel SACD crowd(not to mention the home DVD and HD 1080p crowd.

Whether there is an enough profit to made selling to these groups I'm not sure but if it's just based on the sit and listen group I would not thing that there would be enough of a market.

Maybe the solution is to license the rights to the smaller labels to manufacture and distribute the HD DVD's and SACDs to this market. Then just collect the royalties. Then the record labels don't assume the investment and risk involved.

Here's a thought: How about Hi Resolution music and video simulcast(pay per view) on HD TV where you pay a flat fee to view and record the broadcast for personal use on you entertainment system?

DO I get an atta'boy for this idea?

JBK