Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 08-06-2007   #7

Smile Re: High Resolution Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
FYI... I have spoken with numerous major label execs about this topic, and none of them are against re-releasing vintage recordings in a higher-rez format IF they can sell enough copies to yield a decent profit.

The REAL obstacle is the perception (or is it a reality?) that MOST hi-rez enthusiasts utilize a main hi-rez playback system that is centered around a Hi-Def bigscreen monitor... and therefore, these consumers no longer sit around listening to music, with NO picture!!

That is why these music execs (who also control the video rights to these artists) are motivated to release a Hi-Def concert on cableTV or HD-DVD... but are reluctant to invest a lot of money producing hi-rez "music only" discs, with no picture.

So are they right? Has "listening to music in the living room" become a completely "lost art"?

DD
David, That is it!! In fact, I just discussed this a few days ago in another thread. Outside of ourselves, no one goes home from work, eats, talks with the wife and kids, showers, then gets excited about sitting down in front of his system to enjoy music. Unfortunately, that day is done. The actually love of music for music sake, is gone. The closing here in the east village in New York of Tower Records proved that. People store thousands of songs on their I - pods not because they plan to listen to the music, or use it as a mini music server, its more about, I have 780 songs, how many do you have?
That, is where we are at now. So, there is no profit for the record company executive. I can not say it enough, the love of music as an entity unto itself, is not here anymore.
You know, I read an article some years ago, that said if your children played an instrument in school while young, there was a much deeper appreciation for music. But again, that is a smaller group now, than when we went to school, because the 2 areas where school want to cut money from is, music, the arts, and in some cases, gym. Sorry, I`m prety passionate about this area.

I and my friends, would spend hours, listening to music in our parents homes that had a basement, have a beer, and listen to music. Who does that now??
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #8

Default Re: High Resolution Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
Here's a thought: How about Hi Resolution music and video simulcast(pay per view) on HD TV where you pay a flat fee to view and record the broadcast for personal use on you entertainment system?
Yo, JBK...

This is a great idea for music artists that have a loyal following of HD enthusiasts... but it rules out the "old classic" performances, many of which dwarf the current wave of rock artists.

I was praying for Zeppelin I and II restored into a perfect Hi-Rez representation of the original masters... not the latest version of Robert Plant, as he tries to still hit those unbelievable high notes.

And you'll also run into the limitation of the broadcast specs for the "audio" tracks, which is not at the level of the Hi-Def video transmissions.

But someday the ever-expanding matrix of our creative visions and collective minds, will formulate the ultimate Holy Grail solution!

Peace out.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
I and my friends, would spend hours, listening to music in our parents homes that had a basement, have a beer, and listen to music. Who does that now??
Those WERE the days!

I'll never forget the first time I listened to Electric Ladyland through my Koss Pro-4AA headphones. It felt like Jimi was re-arranging the neuro-transmitters in my brain... and this was BEFORE I had discovered anything beyond beer and Southern Comfort (we love you, Janis!)

And for me, 5.1 surround re-mixing re-kindled that feeling of "wandering inside" the dreams of amazing music artists, who could transport me miles away from the daily grind.

And to this day, I still blow people away every time I sit them down to listen to a great 5.1 music mix with NO picture. The experience is so inspiring, that the newbies react as if they have "never heard music before"!!

To me, it's downright tragic that the "sales" do not currently justify the investment to bring more of the truly "classic" recordings back into the limelight!

DD
Old 08-06-2007   #10

Yeah David, you are sooooo right. I had a pair of Koss 2 + 2s, the quadrophonic headphones that had the 2 channel/4 channel toggle switch on the left earpiece. Hendrix, Santana, Rare Earth, Return to Forever certainly transported me miles away from home, parents, school, etc. Only thing was, they were heavy, metal, hurt after awhile, but I wore them anyway. What is a little suffering for music enjoyment. LOL!!
Its amazing to me that the newbies as you call them, can not envision us sitting in front of a system without the tv on. Unbelievable!!

It was so natural for us, and so foreign to them.

When I think about it sometimes, the video is a bonus, an add on.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #11
jbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
Yo, JBK...

This is a great idea for music artists that have a loyal following of HD enthusiasts... but it rules out the "old classic" performances, many of which dwarf the current wave of rock artists.

I was praying for Zeppelin I and II restored into a perfect Hi-Rez representation of the original masters... not the latest version of Robert Plant, as he tries to still hit those unbelievable high notes.

And you'll also run into the limitation of the broadcast specs for the "audio" tracks, which is not at the level of the Hi-Def video transmissions.

But someday the ever-expanding matrix of our creative visions and collective minds, will formulate the ultimate Holy Grail solution!

Peace out.

DD
DD,

Your prayers have been answered. I was purusing the Gibson Les Paul website and stumbled across a Jimmy Page unofficial website.

You asked for a hi res format of their music...check this link!!

Jimmy Page Online

blu ray and hd dvd plus audiophile re issues of select songs

I'm going to spring for vinyl and hi res!!!

Let me know what you think!

JBK
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
Your prayers have been answered. I was purusing the Gibson Les Paul website and stumbled across a Jimmy Page unofficial website.

You asked for a hi res format of their music...check this link!!

Jimmy Page Online

blu ray and hd dvd plus audiophile re issues of select songs

I'm going to spring for vinyl and hi res!!!
GREAT news... thanks for the link!

I can't wait to score these new re-mastered CDs.... AND if Jimmy archives the new masters in a hi-rez digital format, it will then be very "affordable" for somebody to also release them in a hi-rez music format (DVD-Audio with 24/192?)

And it will also be exciting to compare how much they've improved the sound quality for the re-release of "The Song Remains The Same" on HD-DVD and BD.

Maybe there is a Classic Rock God after all!!

DD
Sponsored Links

Tags
180, 200gr, advantages, company, high, jimmy, music, page, res, resolution, rez, sell, videos, vinyl, wont