Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   Universal player - Multi-channel HDMI question - MY 1ST POST! (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/2423-universal-player-multi-channel-hdmi-question-my-1st-post.html)

sashua 09-03-2008 09:46 AM

Universal player - Multi-channel HDMI question - MY 1ST POST!

I am reaching out here because I am inexperienced in this matter and am hoping for a lesson. I have a Denon Universal 3900 and an Anthem Statement D1 preamp AND the upgrade bug.

I want to replace these two pieces with a high end processor and a universal player that can do all the multichannel formats without the old 6 analog cable connection. In other words - HDMI probably.

I have a pretty decent budget up to about $15,000 for the two pieces and I don't mind buying clean used pieces on A-Gon so there should be quite a few good choices.

I don't know how to get started with this research. Multiple internet searches turn up one solution or another but without any baseline for comparison and without my understanding of the pros and cons.

I also don't know how to get really good D/A conversion accomplished. Do I just rely on the D/A convertors in the preamp? Do I run HDMI into an HDMI capable D/A convertor (if such a thing even exists)??

I am really confused on this whole mess of how to do multi channel digital well. Can I get some help here please?

Thanks,
Russ

faberryman 09-03-2008 10:01 AM

Re: Universal player - Multi-channel HDMI question - MY 1ST POST!

The entire picture should change this week with new products being announced at CEDIA. If you can wait a couple of days, your options will expand exponentially. Any response today will be out of date by Sunday. Hang tight.

In the meantime, what amplifiers and speakers do you have?

sashua 09-03-2008 02:24 PM

Really, the state of the art will change that dramatically over the course of one CEDIA Expo? Do you know of something new that is being released?

My Speakers are Martin Logan Statement E2's and my amps are Spectron Musician 3 MK2's. My Preamp is the BAT REX and My Phono Preamp is the VK-10SE with Superpak upgrade. I am using a Shanling CD-300 for Digital and a Clearaudio Master Solution with Master TQ-1 arm and Stradivari Cart for Analog duties.

Surround speakers are ML ReQuests and center channel is handled by Dual ML Stylos speakers. JVC RS2 with RS-VP2 processor for the video. Stewart Firehawk with vertical masking for the screen.

I'm using the BAT REX with analog passthrough for all music duties as it just sounds like music should to me. For multichannel I want a processor that sounds good and will allow me to relegate all 2 channel to the BAT. In fact, is it possible to buy a processor that will allow me to run my front two channels through the BAT while SIMULTANEOUSLY running the other channels through itself? Then I could use the BAT for 2 channel and Multichannel.

-Russ

faberryman 09-03-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sashua (Post 17501)
Really, the state of the art will change that dramatically over the course of one CEDIA Expo? Do you know of something new that is being released?

It is expected that most of the high-end companies will be introducing their HDMI 1.3 implementations.

faberryman 09-08-2008 09:05 AM

There were several high-end pre/pros with HDMI 1.3 announced at CEDIA. One you may want to look into is the new Anthem Statement D2v2. I don't know whether your D1 can be upgraded or not. Here is the press release:

http://www.castercomm.com/prView.cfm?cid=111&id=208

sashua 09-09-2008 06:35 AM

Thanks for that!
O.K. so perhaps an update to D2 V.2 status for my Statement D1 is warranted in this case! I have never loved the sound of the D1 but this upgrade is promising to take the processor to a whole new level. I checked with Anthem by the way - you can go straight from D1 to D2 V.2 status and the cost will be no more than the D2 upgrade currently on offer. Hang tight for 2 more months they said! Maybe this is finally a real solution.

Anything similar announced at Cedia that you know about? I'd like to do more homework since I have 2 months to wait for Anthem to get a movin'