Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 07-21-2007   #25

Smile Re: Chime in on my debate with AIX Records

Okay, I got you.

But, I`m sure you saw what David DelGrosso wrote. I`m sure we are not going to change your mind about this, but just knowing there is a lover of music, and passionate about it like us, with you over seeing the process, I can`t help what the likes of Return to Forever, Jean - Luc Ponty, Henry Mancini, David Grusin, Hubert Laws, etc. would sound like with your touch restoring them.

Oh well.................................... ..
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #26

Default Re: Chime in on my debate with AIX Records

I have over a dozen of the AIX recordings and marvel at the sound quality. I know this level of quality is not available on older master tapes but after hearing things like Dark Side of the Moon on SACD and the remix of the Beatles stuff on the Love DVDA you have to agree these releases are as close as us mortals will ever get to hearing whats on those master tapes. Both of these discs are far better than the over compressed stuff issued before. I think I saw another thread on another site where Dr. Waldrep after getting it as a present, took the Love DVD down to his studio on Christmas day to listen to it on the "good equipment" and I bet he was supprised at how good the sound was on those master tapes from almost 40 years ago. There is a lot of old material that I would gladly buy again if it was reissued in a HiDef format.

Last edited by tlqualman; 08-10-2007 at 08:13 AM..
tlqualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
Sorry... but I still disagree with this "Hi-rez or nothing" approach to building a collection of music recordings.

To me, "Hi-Rez" should mean "the best sound quality possible for faithfully delivering the original masters", as opposed to, "the most advanced high-tech recordings only."

Yes, everything has improved since DSOTM was recorded... better mics, better mic pre-amps, advanced digital sampling, more accurate d-to-a's, etc.

However, many GREAT recordings like DSOTM, offer something that many state-of-the-art new recordings do not... great MUSIC.

Therefore, I will forever stand by my preference for the industry to support "the best of BOTH worlds":

* Re-master and re-release the older recordings, with the finest new technology.

PLUS

* Create and promote new "original" recordings with the finest technology on the market.

Peace out.

DD
But you can not inject what is not there. With an old master, there's only so much you can get. no more. It reminds me of the teenage kid who asks if transcoding his mp3 collection into another codec like OGG of FLAC will be better. Would it? of course not, it would only increase his file size by a factor of 5 or more.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
But you can not inject what is not there. With an old master, there's only so much you can get. no more.
I have often acknowledged that you can NOT make older recordings sound better than their original masters.

However, you can indeed improve upon many of their mass-market CD versions, because many CDs actually sound noticeably inferior to their own original masters...primarily due to production short-cuts, medium-grade transfers, and high-speed mass replication.

And all I was saying, was that I certainly DO appreciate hi-rez sound quality, but I also would like to acquire more "classic" CDs that have been re-mastered with the highest-quality reproduction possible... ie. "the best of BOTH worlds."

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlqualman View Post
I have over a dozen of the AIX recordings and marvel at the sound quality. I know this level of quality is not available on older master tapes but after hearing things like Dark Side of the Moon on SACD and the remix of the Beatles stuff on the Love DVDA you have to agree these releases are as close as us mortals will ever get to hearing whats on those master tapes. Both of these discs are far better than the over compressed stuff issued before. I think I saw another thread on another site where Dr. Waldrep after getting it as a present, took the Love DVD down to his studio on Christmas day to listen to it on the "good equipment" and I bet he was supprised at how good the sound was on those master tapes from almost 40 years ago. There is a lot of old material that I would gladly buy again if it was reissued in a HiDef format.
EXACTLY. That is what I`m saying, and it seems David is also. hile the old master tapes are made and done, some of the high rez recordings of material does sound great. Well, we can only wait to see if Mark has a shift in his thinking after listening to the disc.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlqualman View Post
I'll admit that Deep Purple's Machine Head does sound great in DVDA.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
aix, aixrecordscom, album, audio, bluray, buy, calibration, disc, disk, hd, label, place, recordings, records, site