Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 07-19-2007   #19

Default Re: Chime in on my debate with AIX Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I agree with Dr. AIX when he says that albums like DSOTM can't be Hi-Rez (because of the age and type of master used). This is the biggest thing keeping me from buying more DVD-A/SACD discs.
Sorry... but I still disagree with this "Hi-rez or nothing" approach to building a collection of music recordings.

To me, "Hi-Rez" should mean "the best sound quality possible for faithfully delivering the original masters", as opposed to, "the most advanced high-tech recordings only."

Yes, everything has improved since DSOTM was recorded... better mics, better mic pre-amps, advanced digital sampling, more accurate d-to-a's, etc.

However, many GREAT recordings like DSOTM, offer something that many state-of-the-art new recordings do not... great MUSIC.

Therefore, I will forever stand by my preference for the industry to support "the best of BOTH worlds":

* Re-master and re-release the older recordings, with the finest new technology.

PLUS

* Create and promote new "original" recordings with the finest technology on the market.

Peace out.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #20

Thumbs up Re: Chime in on my debate with AIX Records

ENOCH and DavidDeLGrosso,

Enoch, I don`t know what you listen to, but I have some high rez recordings in both SACD/ and DVD - A. And they are all older recordings. In fact, I just received, Blood, Sweat, and Tears classic Hybrid/SACD self entitled second lp. Done by the guys from Mobile Fidelity labs with their GAIN2 technology, the sound was clean, articulate, and a definitely upgrade from the original, in surround.
So, if you remember, "And When I Die", "Spinning Wheel", and "You Make Me So Very Happy", this cd will bring great enjoyment and smiles. So I suggest you try one or two, and really see for yourself.

So, David, I agree with you, new and old titles should be produced. Now, obviously, if you come across some master tapes or original source that looks like you need a miracle to get it done, then you leave those alone. That is why I suggested to Dr. Aix the CTI/KUDU label. With the legendary Rudy Van Gelder and Creed Taylor known for their high quality LP recordings, this would be a great place to start.
But, I hear you about funding and the masses. My thing really is, that this is a time where the knowledge and expertise that the high end has, would show the Best Buy, Circuit City crowd, what its all about. But we have the new format war, why?
But Enoch, get on board.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #21

I have never stated that older analog sources shouldn't be presented to consumers in the highest resolution possible...music fans should be able to experience the sound as the mixing engineer did in the studio.

My point is that just as HDTV means that there are 1920 x 1080 pixels captured with the cameras at the time of the shoot, the notion of HD Audio should mean something as well. DSOTM was recorded on an analog 24-track tape machine over 30 years ago. The specifications of the best of the best analog machines during that period would take the dynamic range to about 70 dB and the frequency response to 20-22 kHz. During the mixdown you lose 3 dB due to tape to tape transfer. A safety copy was made from which the disc was cut...another loss of 3 dB. As wonderful as it sounds [and it is a sound that I enjoy immensely], the digital equivalent [since 6 dB of signal to noise can be accomplished per bit] is around 10-12 bits, hardly qualifying as HD Audio, which demands 24-bits AND the use of all of those bits.

Many believe that by recapturing an older analog of SD digital source into a 96 kHz/24-bit bucket, that somehow the sound is magically transformed to fill the additional "fidelity space" of HD...not so, the dynamic range and the frequency response are the same as the original. You don't lose anything, but you don't gain anything either.

If you believe that HD stands for "higher-resolution" than there is no argument. I don't. It means that consumers should expect that the production chain from musician to speaker was accomplished with at least 96 kHz/24-bits.

Older analog can certainly benefit from HD Audio but DSOTM would be a completely new experience if Pink Floyd had access to the kind of equipment available today...if they choose to take advantage of the increased dynamic range and frequency response.

I believe it's important for consumers to realize the points made above. There are download site that claim to be "HD Music" but in reality they are selling standard CD resolution...not at all HD. HD Radio isn't high definition either...in fact, the spec is barely as good as a good MP3 soundfile. When iTrax.com comes online, the only content that it will sell will be REAL HD Audio.
Dr. AIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #22

Dr. AIX, so why are they allowed to call it HD radio, if it truly is not?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #23

Mark,

Personally,I believe that your "position" has always been clear, and that your integrity has never been in question.

The only comment that I would footnote further, is this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post
Older analog can certainly benefit from HD Audio but DSOTM would be a completely new experience if Pink Floyd had access to the kind of equipment available today...if they choose to take advantage of the increased dynamic range and frequency response.
At the risk of repeating myself... waiting for Pink Floyd to re-assemble in the studio, will most likely continue to be a waste of time.

However, I have been fortunate to listen to the DSOTM masters (and several other legendary recordings) on the finest studio gear, and they sound warmer and more spatial than the SACD and DVD-A consumer discs.

And I stand by my marketing prediction that several "classic" artists could once again sell millions of copies of their best masters, by meticulously producing the best-possible HD re-mastered consumer versions of these titles... with experts like yourself, monitoring every step of the way, to ensure absolute sonic integrity.

I passionately see it as "art restoration"... similar to how incredible Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling looks, now that the technical wizards have carefully removed the built-up sludge that was clouding the incredible details of this masterpiece.

Maybe it's just my Italian roots.

Badabing.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007   #24

There is no restriction on using the letter "HD" in the world of marketing. Kodak uses it, Chevy trucks, windex all have appropriated HD to gain some perceived marketing advantage.
Dr. AIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
aix, aixrecordscom, album, audio, bluray, buy, calibration, disc, disk, hd, label, place, recordings, records, site