Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 07-13-2007   #13

Default Re: Chime in on my debate with AIX Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
I think if the good new music was released in better quality discs they would sell more. Especially with fewer really good artists out there.
This is one area that still frustrates many within the music industry, ie. how many people REALLY care about sound quality enough to keep purchasing high-quality music discs?

And here's some logic that MIGHT someday return to the financial drawing boards:

a) People will continue to buy "compressed" files forever

but...

b) We are ALWAYS looking for ways to maximize the ROI for each recording

therefore...

c) Maybe we should re-visit the economics of releasing a few more "discs" that utilize the most advanced technology AND then we can continue to sell our master recordings to BOTH types of consumers?

Obviously the magic questions remain... which formats... which recordings... at what cost... how many can you sell?

But crazy as it may sound to some execs, I believe that there are a few ultra-creative people who are still quite passionate about this subject... and will soon surprise the industry with a sensible new marketing plan!

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #14

Dave...it has been a long time. Nice to hear that you're still at it and part of the AVRev team. I don't disagree with your comments. I still love to listen to the "classics" and recognize that recording is a creative art in itself. It's unfortunate that digital processing is often overused for the wrong reasons and that the wonderful potential of vinyl and anlog recordings are being lost in an age that could present something better.

AIX Records opted to go a different way from the major labels for a couple of reasons:

1. I didn't already have a catalog to remix in 5.1 and capture at 96/24,
2. I couldn't afford to make records one track at a time over the course of many sessions and many months,
3. My personal philosophy of recording is more in tune with "live" sessions [although I do not like live concert recordings]; and
4. I wanted to create a new genre of "private personal performances" using state-of-the-art equipment and techniques.

Our stuff is not for everyone but many do appreciate the sound and quality of our productions. I get a lot of emails from customers encouraging me to keep making more...so I will as long as I can afford to.
Dr. AIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #15

Dr AIX,

I for one adore your discsd, please keep them coming!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #16

Smile Re: Chime in on my debate with AIX Records

Dr. AIX, I understand your premise. But you can`t help but but understand where me, David, and J.J. are coming. The thought that someone like yourself has this kind of passion for music, I`m sure we all could give you a list of what older recordings we would like you to take a whack at.

However, the point is, and I guess always has been is that, the masses do not care about sound quality. It has always been convenience first. And the fact we had the DVD - A/SACD war, and now the SONY/TOSHIBA mess, the AV industry continues to shoot itself in the foot. I know, I`m tired of it.

With all the technology that is available now, the High End or AV industry should be growing and taking advantage of this like crazy. But, I`ll just have to wait and hope that some artist that I like will come to you, to record his music, then I`ll be happy!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Dr. AIX, I understand your premise. But you can`t help but but understand where me, David, and J.J. are coming. The thought that someone like yourself has this kind of passion for music, I`m sure we all could give you a list of what older recordings we would like you to take a whack at.
For the record, Dr. AIX has always done a great job of creating state-of-the-art recordings, but it often takes a helluva lot of funding to secure the rights to create "master quality" recordings of the more popular artists.

The crazy thing is...that many artists/labels refuse to license such "high end" versions, for fear that it will sell like crazy and deny them as much money as they could have made if they funded it themselves. YET, they refuse to fund it themselves, because they have no guarantee that it WILL sell well! Can you say Catch-22?

Quote:
However, the point is, and I guess always has been is that, the masses do not care about sound quality. It has always been convenience first.
The "masses". by definition, support mass-produced, lower-priced products that are instantly available... inc. fast foods, Target clothes, MP-3, etc.

Meanwhile, the revenues continue to soar for "quality alternatives", such as Whole Foods markets, designer clothing, HDTVs, etc

The human race will ALWAYS support "different strokes for different folks"... and all WE need now is a creative new financial model for marketing BOTH mainstream recordings AND their state-of-the-art, more expensive versions... to properly support the "best of both worlds."

Quote:
With all the technology that is available now, the High End or AV industry should be growing and taking advantage of this like crazy.
I totally agree, and I would encourage all industry execs to meditate on this one for a while:

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes… but in having new eyes." -Marcel Proust

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #18

I agree with Dr. AIX when he says that albums like DSOTM can't be Hi-Rez (because of the age and type of master used). This is the biggest thing keeping me from buying more DVD-A/SACD discs. I would love to get better sounding older titles, but fear of low quality conversions to a new format prevent me from buying more. This is where surround versions will prosper. So I am buying more current titles that I know can be produced with Hi-Rez capabilities.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
aix, aixrecordscom, album, audio, bluray, buy, calibration, disc, disk, hd, label, place, recordings, records, site