Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 10-14-2009   #7

Default Re: Copy CD's to CD-R

After reading this great resource on music and hearing too many innovative tones and lyrics, I feel it's true, Music is like nutrition for soul. And any one who tries or preserve it is doing great job.
Jenny111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #8

Smile Re: Copy CD's to CD-R always sound better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
As a recording engineer for Chesky Records, I first started working with CD-Rs in the Summer of 1990, using Yamaha's very first CD-R recorder. It cost a cool $65,000 USD, and blank 63 minute discs were running upwards of $60 USD each.

At that time as now, the finished, recorded pit structure of a CD-R offers superior transitions from land to pit (bump) than on most any pressed CDs (JVC XRCD excluded). Simply put, this produces an optical eye pattern to the laser reading mechanism of a CD player which creates much more accurate square wave patterns that are the analog representation of the digital signal.

It is here where jitter normally sneaks in, because the optical eye pattern must be interpreted by an optical sensor, whose accuracy is directly effected by the clarity of the eye pattern.

Small deviations in timing (jitter) are not recorded nor correted in our single ended 16-bit PCM recording system, and this has been a problem all the way back to 1980, when Phillips and Sony took a few short cuts.

The result is that the same data from a pressed CD will always sound more transparent when dubbed to a CD-R. It is simply a matter a physics, and lack of recording the time signal from the original A/D!
As you know I am new to this Forum, and reading this particular item gives me great satisfaction to know that 3-4 years ago I burnt some CDs on CD-R and did feel they sounded "cleaner" to my ears. Now you have confirmed it. Jut one problem I had/have with these copies is that after playing for sometime on my car CD player, they begin to mistrack/stop or go funny. So i just stop and next day it seems ok. Wonder what the reason is?
LaZ Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #9

Default Re: Copy CD's to CD-R always sound better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZ Baz View Post
As you know I am new to this Forum, and reading this particular item gives me great satisfaction to know that 3-4 years ago I burnt some CDs on CD-R and did feel they sounded "cleaner" to my ears. Now you have confirmed it. Jut one problem I had/have with these copies is that after playing for sometime on my car CD player, they begin to mistrack/stop or go funny. So i just stop and next day it seems ok. Wonder what the reason is?
The dyes that are used for the data layer of a CD-R can become unstable if left in a hot car for any length of time. So perhaps the disc is heating up - creating data errors and mistracking, but this change is only temporary - returning to normal after temperatures return to normal.

Does that coincide with your experiences?

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #10

Smile Re: Copy CD's to CD-R always sound better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
The dyes that are used for the data layer of a CD-R can become unstable if left in a hot car for any length of time. So perhaps the disc is heating up - creating data errors and mistracking, but this change is only temporary - returning to normal after temperatures return to normal.

Does that coincide with your experiences?
Yes. That is what happens when it gets hot.I know now -thank you.
LaZ Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #11

Lightbulb Re: Copy CD's to CD-R

I think CDs sound better than CDRs
Jim
Fishman pickupsl
"John 3:16"
guit30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
cd, cdbest, cdr, copy, copying, digital, eye, jitter, jittery, media, music, pattern, pressed, sound, sounding