Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   Restored Faith in music (somewhat) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/1779-restored-faith-music-somewhat.html)

JerryDelColliano 03-30-2008 10:07 AM

Restored Faith in music (somewhat)

AVRev.com Music Editor, Charles Andrews and I went deep into the ghetto 2 sunday nights ago to scout a blues band for an ULTRA-high res record label I am considering starting. The club was called the PLEASURE PALACE on Manchester in Inglewood (not all that far from the old Forum) and NO - there were no people taking off their clothes.

While the band wasn't exactly what I was looking for - I must say I was thrilled to see the turnout from the locals. On a SUNDAY NIGHT - people came out to hear their favorite soul and blues songs stylized by lead singer "Duffy" who dressed flamboyantly (complete with Dolce and Gabbna glasses in the dark and a bright red "dew rag").

The bar menu was pretty curious there. Beer and wine. The wine was both red and white - not a list and GET THIS - was served on ICE. The locals LOVED it - ordering pitchers and caraffes full of it.

My favorite part of the night was the people watching. At the middle of the bar was this skinny older (late 40's perhaps) Jimi Hendrix looking pimp character wearing leather. He would walk up to the band at nearly every song and stand in front of the band as they played - reaching into his wallet and stuffing the tip jar with a bill (a dollar most likely). He made this trek with each song - rarely missing one. Others would follow. Sometimes if he really liked the song, he would make his way up there faster. Other times he took his good old time. I only went up there once but I made sure what I dropped into the jar got the bands attention as they were pouring out their hearts.

Overall, we had a fun night out in the hood on a Sunday night. Best of all was to see people willing to leave their sofas and go out to support live music like this.

kennyt 03-30-2008 09:15 PM

Re: Restored Faith in music (somewhat)

Wine on ice eh.....

I'm all for the tunes, and supporting live music, but wine on ice????

rlpiii 03-31-2008 01:13 PM

Wine. . . it was probably gin n' juice. . . you should have tried it. . . sounds like you missed out on getting the complete ghetto experience! ;)

deacongreg 03-31-2008 04:18 PM

Good to see people still support live music locally somewhere. That is why its a shame, that the Bottom Line here in the Village is shut down. And no artist came to help out.

kloneman 03-31-2008 08:10 PM

Live music is as good as it gets. I don't get near as many chances to hear (or play) as I once did. When things calm down a bit here I intend to change that. Some of the venues were a bit "scary" as RLPIII would attest, but they were fun. There was a great venue in the area here that I miss - Caravan of Dreams. It had great acoustics and fantastic atmosphere.

deacongreg 04-01-2008 06:21 PM

Yes, nothing like live music.