Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   Best sounding DVD-Audio discs (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/15-best-sounding-dvd-audio-discs.html)

AVRevForum.com 03-20-2007 07:03 AM

Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

I think that Yes' Fragile is one of the best sounding DVD-Audio discs. This thread is a place for you to tell readers what you think the best (or worst) sounding DVD-Audio titles are.

Robinson_A 05-25-2007 11:28 AM

Re: Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

While not a true DVD-A by name (nor an SACD for that matter) I think Monster Music SuperDiscs, esspecially the Peter Cincotti and 3 Doors Down discs, are fantastic!

For multichannel music on DVD I'd have to go with Godsmack.

Just food for thought.

Andrew

deacongreg 05-29-2007 01:35 PM

This is not a DVD - A or an SACD either, but a little history. My Dad played mostly jazz and motown during my youth. Which obviously to this day shaped what I listen to now, until I branched out on my own at about 13. Rare Earth, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Osibisa, Return to Forever, you get the picture. But, he played this RCA/Living Stereo recording with powerful horns, great arrangements, even some mellow stuff.
I played this lp to death, when he was not home. It is from a detective show I never saw, but love the music. Any guesses?
Most people know him from the "Theme from the Pink Panther". Alright, the soundtrack from "Peter Gunn" by Henry Mancini. The title track is just awesome as it contnually builds to a final crescendo!! I had been looking for this for a while. I finally picked up a Japanese pressing from Tower Records.
If you are looking for some good music, enjoy soundtracks, even if you never saw the show, this cd has it!!!

kennyt 05-29-2007 02:43 PM

While I have to agree with Yes Fragile being a great DVD-A disc, and BTW the first LP I ever bought, and again must agree with Andrew about the Monster discs, which are simply amazing, I would also add the Ray Charles Genius Loves Company from this collection as well... simply incredible.

As far as DVD-A goes, I have been pretty fond of the Grateful Dead; Workingman's Dead. Though not really big into the dead, the mastering on this disc is first rate and it is a classic worth buying for any collection.

Let's not forget the AIX recordings either, they have some of the better acoustic guitar I've found on DVD-A.

Ken

deacongreg 05-31-2007 01:46 PM

I do have an excellent hybrid SACD that sounds great. Mobile Fidelitys Thats the way of the World by EARTH, WIND, and FIRE. Classic music, crystal clear horns, the best in my opinion with The Tower of Power Horns coming in a close second. To me, whether you are a fan or not, after one listen, you will be.

A must have, with the title track crossing over a still being played today!!

greatmovies 06-06-2007 10:06 PM

I haven't had the chance to audition many DVD-Audio discs, but I have been extremely impressed by the DVD-Audio of Beck's Sea Change.

I have listened to this album thousands of times on cd, and it was my first purchase when I got a DVD-Audio Player. I can't tell you how floored I was by all of the subtle details that jumped out of the DVD-Audio recording. I heard layers of music and warmth that I never imagined could be hiding in that album.

This is one of the very few albums that I must actually sit and listen to - definitely not background music.