Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 06-15-2007   #19

Default Re: Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

Some of my other favorite DVD-A discs, in no particular order-

Yes- Fragile
Beck- Sea Change
Steve Stevens- Flamenco.A.GO.GO
Santana- Supernatural
David Sanborn- Timeagain
Crosby & Nash- Another Stoney Evening
The Beatles- Love (some purist will scoff at this, but it is an interesting mix)
Roy Orbison- Black & White Night
Blue Man Group- Audio
The Doors- Perception box set

These are some of my fav's, some recorded better than others, 3 are live recording.
MilleRSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
Most corporations (including DTS) must continually evaluate all of the financial, practical and political implications of each business decision... and these days, will rarely support any action whereby the "pain" is likely to outweigh the "gain."

DD
The old business model definitely had flaws for an audience this size. Retail stores were clueless about Surround Audio in terms of demonstration, formats and where to even stock them in the store.

The new business model that should work much better will be like the on-line boutique labels such as Rhino Homemade, Hip-O to get rare vault items directly into the hands of the consumers.

Just a few weeks ago Warner's BecauseSoundMatters.com had a soft launch with vinyl and DVD-Audio items. Granted the initial offerings were all vinyl, the site has seen a deluge of DVD-A requests and they responded that we should see some activity on that front by July.

Would you know if the rights of the masters DTS used have expired or are they just sitting on them? If they have no intention of re-issuing DTS CDs or DVD-As I have to wonder about the disposition of the masters and someone else grabbing the ball with them.

We were surprised recently to find that the Band On The Run DTS CD with the first 3 notes clipped off was quietly corrected! (we being the QuadraphonicQuad.com forum community)
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
MilleRSV, I am a big Diana Krall fan as well. Love Scenes on DTS, DVD - A recording is superb, tight, and very clean. Her voice sounds strong, as well as delicate, when it needs to be. For a vocal release, the separation is excellent.

Why did she marry Elvis Costello?
Um, so that they could both do Lexus commercials? LOL

It's not so far fetched; he has turned out to be a great musician possessed with working in all genres with all types of collaborators. She digs that.
Old 06-15-2007   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbre4 View Post
Would you know if the rights of the masters DTS used have expired or are they just sitting on them? If they have no intention of re-issuing DTS CDs or DVD-As I have to wonder about the disposition of the masters and someone else grabbing the ball with them.
The catalog of DTS-E discs has been developed via a wide variety of licensing arrangments, ergo, a wide variety of expiration dates and renewal conditions.

The best way to determine the viability of such an acquisiton, would be to approach them directly.

As my Godfather once taught me... anything is possible, if you can make someone "an offer that they can't refuse."

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
The catalog of DTS-E discs has been developed via a wide variety of licensing arrangments, ergo, a wide variety of expiration dates and renewal conditions.

The best way to determine the viability of such an acquisiton, would be to approach them directly.

As my Godfather once taught me... anything is possible, if you can make someone "an offer that they can't refuse."

DD
Thank you for the advice and encouragement.
Old 06-16-2007   #24

Smile Re: Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

timbre4, Yeah, I hear you. I just saw that Lexus commercial last night actually. She looks very good. Good choice to use someone classy like her in their commercials.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
album, audio, cd, detroit, discs, disks, dvd, dvda, dvdaudio, forum, metro, recommended, sounding, top, uk