Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   Best sounding DVD-Audio discs (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/15-best-sounding-dvd-audio-discs.html)

MilleRSV 06-14-2007 03:57 AM

Re: Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

Is the DVD-A of "A Night At The Opera" still in print. I believe this was a DTS
production. I don't find it on their website, I did a Google search and found in on amazon.com USA starting at $150.00. This must be a fantastic 5.1 mix for that price. Does anyone know where to get a new copy at a reasonable price.

timbre4 06-14-2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 653)
Bruser,

Timbre4,

Did you mean 'Fear of a Black Planet' by Public Emeny?? If that ever comes out on DVD-A I will buy a couple copies! PE in high def!!! Let me know if you ever find it, I'll take at least one!

KT

Nope; PORCUPINE TREE is currently touring to support the 2007 release Fear Of A Blank Planet. Check out the album conceot and you'll see why this play on words with the PE title works. The 5.1 mix is outstanding as DTS now with true DVD-A due in Sept 2007.

timbre4 06-14-2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David DelGrosso (Post 649)
I was very fortunate to be able to hang out in the studio during that mixing session, and the enthusiasm expressed by Brian May was VERY inspiring. He literally jumped around the studo in constant joy, as Elliot Scheiner masterfully "painted the entire room" with these complex arrangements.
DD

David,

Yes I own a copy and it is incredible, showing what CAN be done. I'd like to keep Elliot Scheiner, John Kellog, etc busy whipping up more 5.1 DVD-A releases.

So why hasn't DTS taken advantage of the current dry spell with DVD-A and licensed some album masters to feed hungry DVD-A consumers?

The much-ballyhoo'd EMI release promised catalog releases but to my knowledge only netted 2 wonderful David Bowie titles and The Thrills.

Tim

David DelGrosso 06-14-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbre4 (Post 672)

So why hasn't DTS taken advantage of the current dry spell with DVD-A and licensed some album masters to feed hungry DVD-A consumers?

The much-ballyhoo'd EMI release promised catalog releases but to my knowledge only netted 2 wonderful David Bowie titles and The Thrills.

I am no longer a spokesperson for DTS, so I cannot speak on their behalf.

But over the years, I discovered SEVERAL "pros and cons" to disc production and distribution, that I would summarize as follows:

Most corporations (including DTS) must continually evaluate all of the financial, practical and political implications of each business decision... and these days, will rarely support any action whereby the "pain" is likely to outweigh the "gain."

DD

deacongreg 06-14-2007 05:11 PM

MilleRSV, I am a big Diana Krall fan as well. Love Scenes on DTS, DVD - A recording is superb, tight, and very clean. Her voice sounds strong, as well as delicate, when it needs to be. For a vocal release, the separation is excellent.

Why did she marry Elvis Costello?

MilleRSV 06-15-2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 688)
MilleRSV, I am a big Diana Krall fan as well. Love Scenes on DTS, DVD - A recording is superb, tight, and very clean. Her voice sounds strong, as well as delicate, when it needs to be. For a vocal release, the separation is excellent.

Why did she marry Elvis Costello?

Good question, lucky guy I guess. I would have married her but she never returned my calls.

Anyway, back to reality. If you haven't watched her "Live In Paris" DVD-V you should give it a look. She has her band along with a full orchestra at the Paris Olympia. Excellent production, not hi-res audio but nice DTS 5.1 soundtrack.