Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 06-07-2007   #7

Default Re: Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

Agreed Ken about the Dead. By the way, do you have American Beauty on DVD-A, and if so, how do you think it compares with Workingman. AB sounds pretty great to me so just wondering if WD is comparable or better.
bruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #8

I agree the AIX recordings are excellent. I have several, Peppino D'Agostino's "Acoustic Guitar" disk is fantastic. I'm a big Diana Krall fan and her disk "Love Scenes" is my favorite. Her vocals and Christian McBride's bass in the first song
"All or Nothing at All" sound as if they're playing in the same room. "Peel Me a Grape" is a great song also, the whole disk is great.

I'm not sure if this is against forum rules, but if you can find the DVD-A of Pink
Floyd's "Dark Side of The Moon" you won't regret it.
MilleRSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #9

I listen only in my Acura TL, and am a classic rocker from the 60s and 70s, so it was quite a suprise when I popped in Faith Hill's "Cry". Unbelievable sound! Another one that stays in the changer is Everclear "So much for the afterglow". The banjo track (#11 or 12) is awesome. And if you want to hear drums go round and round, track 8 on Zappa's "Halloween" is a hoot. Porcupine Tree's "Stupid Dreams" and Todd Rundgren's "Liar" are also worth a listen.

Pity the format seems quite dead.
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #10

Hello and my first post....

DVD-A is not dead as long as groups like Porcupine Tree carry the torch. Fear Of A Blank Planet will be issued as a DVD-A in September. The recent special edition included a DVD with a DTS 5.1 mix as a nice preview of what we can expect.

Everyone who wants to see more DVD-A releases should comment that they wish to purchase them at this new site: http://www.becausesoundmatters.com/
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #11

Needless to say, the "higher resolution" technology used to create some of the more recent masters, can easily deliver more clarity and a wider dynamic range than many of the Classic Rock "oldies."

But, for me, the Best Sounding DVD-A surround remix, will always be Queen "A Night At the Opera."

Setting aside the possibility that some people simply do not like "sounds coming from behind them", Bohemian Rhaposdy is one masterpiece that truly belongs in 5.1 surround!

I was very fortunate to be able to hang out in the studio during that mixing session, and the enthusiasm expressed by Brian May was VERY inspiring. He literally jumped around the studo in constant joy, as Elliot Scheiner masterfully "painted the entire room" with these complex arrangements.

And Brian, at one point during the BO-RHAP remix, proudly proclaimed that this 5.1 re-mix would, for the first time, enable Queen fans to experience the full theatrical presentation that they had envisioned when composing these "dramatic" tracks.

If you have never experienced these 5.1 music tracks on a great playback system, do yourself a big favor and cue up The Prophet's Song... and just sit quietly for 8:21, while this extaordinary band takes you on a truly magical ride.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #12

Bruser,

Haven't got American Beauty, for me it was the tail end of a band I wasn't that big a fan of, WMD has so many classics though I have to have it, and the DVD-A is a great remaster.

Timbre4,

Did you mean 'Fear of a Black Planet' by Public Emeny?? If that ever comes out on DVD-A I will buy a couple copies! PE in high def!!! Let me know if you ever find it, I'll take at least one!

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
album, audio, cd, detroit, discs, disks, dvd, dvda, dvdaudio, forum, metro, recommended, sounding, top, uk