Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 10-22-2007   #55

Default Re: Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

Although it flew under most people's radar, Mark Knopfler's Shangri-La (2004) is one of the best I've ever heard.
http://www.avrev.com/music/revs/knopfler.shtml
I like the two-disc format because then you can easily hear it in the car. Which prepares you to notice the sound upgrade when you throw it in the disc player.
The music is spare but sumptuous, dreamily like its title -- belying the violent story lines of most of the songs. The vocals are particularly nuanced on the DVD-Audio disc.
An outstanding application of 5.1 technology to a brilliant recording.
mrmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #56

Jerry,

Not red headed, I do however think I am a lesbian, just trapped in a man's body....

Charles,

Got to agree witgh you on Shangri-La, great sound and very calming music, great to cook to.

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #57

Lightbulb Re: Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

I have several SACDs and a couple of DVD-As, but I have heard nothing better than Alison Kraus and Union Station on a double DVD, it has dts or Dolby 5.1, I like the DTS.

Any of those GD DVD-A's still around?
Jim
Fishman pickupsl
"John 3:16"
guit30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #58

I do have an excellent hybrid SACD that sounds great. Mobile Fidelitys Thats the way of the World by EARTH, WIND, and FIRE. Classic music, crystal clear horns, the best in my opinion with The Tower of Power Horns coming in a close second. To me, whether you are a fan or not, after one listen, you will be.

A must have, with the title track crossing over a still being played today!!
Addie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #59

Lightbulb Re: Best sounding DVD-Audio discs

I just got Shelby Lynne's latest Dusty Springfield cover CD in SACD by Analog Productions, name is "Just a Little Lovin'", This disc is one of the best I have heard in awhile, just shimmers along, sweet.
Fishman pickupsl
"John 3:16"
guit30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
album, audio, cd, detroit, discs, disks, dvd, dvda, dvdaudio, forum, metro, recommended, sounding, top, uk