Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 06-07-2007   #1

Default Genesis in DTS

Just wondering what people think of the cd/dvd combo releases of the 3 Genesis albums beginning with Trick of the Tail. By my ears the DTS sounds really good. I haven't listened to the DD tracks. I know there's been a lot of complaint by people about the SACD releases being overly compressed and having too much high end sizzle. I did notice the high end on Wind & Wuthering, so I switched my Integra receiver to the "multichannel" input setting (analog inputs) and it really mellowed that sizzle quite nicely and even brought out much more bass definition. Just a suggestion.
bruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #2

Default Re: Genesis in DTS

My SACD/DVD NTSC box is due today; I expect to play them in reverse order for the audio and then forward with the video extras. Will post here after it all sinks in...
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007   #3

Genesis in 5.1 is SUCH a joy! I was up til 2:30am listening to the 5 studio albums in reverse order and was not disappointed. The EQ is a tad bright and the Denon receiver has been in tone defeat for the entire 3 years of use. I turned it on and applied a -2db cut to Treble and that brought it into line for my ears.

Listening to the Extra Tracks SACD 5.1 disc now; this features some of the greatest non-lp music they did such as Inside And Out (issued as rare 3" CD years ago and I have one). Goosebumps as it plays right now....

I will say this, I want Seconds Out (live) on 5.1 SACD in the worst way now! Saw this 1977 tour twice and witnessed the band on perhaps it's third peak of a different kind. Cue up the last 60 seconds and play it loud. That's as powerful as any band you're ever heard live.

NOTE to live album dissers: Studio records are carefully constructed ILLUSIONS where musicians generally add and subtract parts to arrive at a finished product. Live albums are honest performances unless tinkered with. If your particular favorite artist can't cut it live, that is not my problem.
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #4

Good point on live albums timbre - I was listening to Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus" the other day, just marvelling at how tight those guys were...the remastered double live CD released a couple of years ago with bonus tracks is a primo example of a band at the peak of their powers. What's you opinion on the regular studio albums in the Genesis package. Which one sounds the best to you? People have been dissing "And Then There Were Three", but I don't have that one, so I'd like to know your opinion on it.

Thanks, Bruser
Old 06-20-2007   #5

So, this release is DVD-A, SACD and DVD?
sbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #6

The release I am referring to is the American release, which is DD and DTS only, no SACD or DVD Audio.
Sponsored Links

Tags
51, bass, dts, genesis, genesiscom, invisible, live, music, releases, review, sacd, seconds, surround, touch, video