Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   The Blakes (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/1010-blakes.html)

AVarntanymore 11-08-2007 01:32 PM

The Blakes

This section is titled The Best in New Music, so I can't help but shoot off my mouth over a favorite new disc. Is anybody else here down with The Blakes? They're from Seattle, but I think they're L.A. guys now. Anyhow, their self-titled CD is grrrrreat, to put it in Tony Tiger terms. It opens with Two Times, the best song The White Stripes never recorded, and never loses steam after that. I think there's a bit of The Strokes here, The Kinks there, but these influences only serve to sugar the tea. If you're sick of too much rock music that doesn't live up to its name, this CD will restore your faith. Oh, and play it loud.

kennyt 11-08-2007 02:17 PM

Re: The Blakes

Welcome to the forum AVarntanymore!

How did you find us?

FWIW I bought it, not here yet, if you like them, check out Kooks Inside In/Inside out, similar genre, great band! Another band that I LOVE in this Genre are the Arctic Monkeys. Check out "Whatever they say I am I'm Not", this album is amazing and likely one of the best pieces of new music I have heard in years!

AVarntanymore 11-08-2007 02:42 PM

"How did you find us?"

I wrote for AVR once upon a time. Hence, the login name.

kennyt 11-08-2007 02:46 PM

Well then,

Welcome back!

mrmusic 11-09-2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 5872)
Another band that I LOVE in this Genre are the Arctic Monkeys. Check out "Whatever they say I am I'm Not", this album is amazing and likely one of the best pieces of new music I have heard in years!

People sure are split on the Arc Monks.

I tried and tried to love them, played that first disc over and over, and while I think it's excellent rocknroll I don't think it's that special. The huge hype, coming from their huge sales in UK (biggest-selling debut album ever), also spoils it for me.

I took in half their set at the Austin City Limits music festival recently, open to having my mind changed, but remained unimpressed. And I didn't much care for their air of snotty superiority, either.

Brit taste is so odd sometimes, contrasted with Yank. You part Brit, Ken? I s'pose you love Oasis, too?

I finally caught the Hives at a small venue in Hollywood two nights ago. Now there's a band that f-in' ROCKS! Hardest working band in show business (well, 3/5ths of them). 100-minute set, not one slow song. Their world's-greatest-band schtick is pretty entertaining. Swedes -- who knew?

Speaking of Swedes, and another guilty pleasure (I know, different thread) -- I always loved Blue Swede's ooga-ooga remake of BJ Thomas' "Hooked On a Feeling," and I just now came across a video on YouTube of David Hasselhoff doing it 'round the world -- it's hilarious.

kennyt 11-09-2007 10:36 AM

David Hasselhoff is right up there with Richard Cheese!

Oh, wait! Dick Cheese KNOWS he's spoofing!