Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   April Showers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/april-showers-60/)
-   -   More Editing and Music... (http://www.avrev.com/forum/april-showers/2148-more-editing-music.html)

Robinson_A 07-01-2008 12:17 PM

More Editing and Music...

Everyone,

Editing continues to go well, as Mark, Nate and Daniel diligently work into the wee hours of the morning to assemble the rough cut of the film that we will, hopefully, be screening for a small group of "strangers" next week. Act one and a good portion of act two and three are complete in rough form and have been playing very well thus far. As it stands the rough cut will come in at around two and a half hours with some trimming to be done to get the film down to its final running time of two hours. I say two hours for I don't feel a film such as April Showers need be longer than that. I could easily make a two and a half hour plus director's cut (though I don't plan on it) but for the sake of the story and pacing two hours seems ideal. When you take editing past the scene level and start looking at the film on a whole pacing becomes all the more important. Every scene has its own three act structure that you then tailor to fit into the whole of the film. When juxtaposed against other scenes you realize moments in the scene become irrelevant or unnecessary and have to be removed. We encountered such a moment last night where a truly heart warming performance had to be cut in order to preserve the flow of the picture. Is the film less for it? No, not at all. It's simply a rhythm thing. Like music, editing is has its lyrics, chorus, bridge and climax.

The flow of April Showers is proving to be very strong, and something the editorial staff and myself are crafting very carefully (even in rough form) in order to get it right. When its right, magic happens, the hairs on your neck stand up and you get that feeling that you're witnessing something special which makes it easier to tell when we're off. There's almost a universal silence in the room after we screen a sequence of scenes and know something isn't working. No comments are needed for the weak link stands out.

Editing is also the time where I learn the most about my methods as a filmmaker. On April Showers I tried a few things in the filming process to save time and money but also to assist the scene and editing process. For the most part my methods worked however on one particular scene they did not and it was in the editing that I saw the "kink" in the armor. The entire filmmaking process is a learning experience. I could not have made April Showers if not for the invaluable lessons learned on Shimmer just as my next project will be all the better due to my experience(s) with this film. I am particularly hard on myself and scrutinize every decision in order to maximize, not only my growth as a filmmaker, but the audience's enjoyment as well. While Mark and I can edit a scene over and over and approach it from many different angles we only get one shot at truly getting it right for once you show it to an audience that's it. You can pull the film from theaters and re-cut it then re-release it. Well I guess you could but a. I don't have that kind of money and b. the first impression is often the most important. So we continue to edit and craft what is shaping up to be a wonderful film.

Switching gears to music for a moment. A few people have contacted me regarding their desire to score April Showers. I am blown away and honored that so many of you want to participate and have an interest in the film for it means a lot to me. However, I should announce that we already have a composer for the film. Dominik Rausch will be writing the score for April Showers and the samples I've heard thus far are amazing. Again, I appreciate everyone's interest and time in contacting me to throw their hat into the ring. Thank you very much.

What else? The posters are coming along very well and will be ready for public view shortly. As always you'll be able to download them (not full size) here when they become available. So that's it so far. I'll let you all know how the rough screening goes as well as keep you up to date on the latest happenings. So, until next time, take care and stay tuned...

Andrew

JerryDelColliano 07-09-2008 04:43 PM

Posters

I've seen the posters and they are cool.

The audio editing will take a while. I don't think there will need to be much ADR (where people rerecord the dialog) from what I was told.

From there this thing is going to be ready for the silver screen (even if the screen is really more gray than silver!)

j

deacongreg 07-10-2008 08:13 AM

Re: More Editing and Music...

Sounds like things are moving along smoothly, and at a pace that you like. That is excellent.

kinzamalik01 10-30-2011 07:36 AM

awesome and excellent work and i must appreciate your hard struggle especially in music world and sound of songs has inspired me so much and i enjoy lot of through it so thanks for your such nice work

peveLinia 11-09-2011 12:52 AM

11-11-2011

Isn't it the most amazing day?

IT IS COMING!

angkan 08-30-2012 09:46 PM

i love youmusic.Musics like things are moving along smoothly. That is excellent.