Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel)

Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) Go on a power trip talking about everything to do with power amplifiers.

Old 06-17-2007   #19

Talking Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

SUNFIRE HANDS DOWN SHOW ME ANOTHER AMP THATS 38 POUNDS AND NEVER RUNS HOT THAT WILL PUT OUT 850 WATTS PER CHANNEL X 5
TRAVISG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #20

Default Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

I'd put Ayre MX-R's near the top of the list for SS.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVISG View Post
SUNFIRE HANDS DOWN SHOW ME ANOTHER AMP THATS 38 POUNDS AND NEVER RUNS HOT THAT WILL PUT OUT 850 WATTS PER CHANNEL X 5
TravisG-I agree Sunfire makes an amazingly good amplifier! In fact, I have just signed on as a Factory Direct Dealer, so I am putting my money where my mouth is so far as support for and believing in Sunfire as an outstanding product. That being said, I am not sure your reply shows a perfect understanding of the intent of the original question.

While there is no doubt the Sunfire amp produces a HUGE quantity of power-especially when the weight of the amp is taken into consideration, that was not the performance parameter being opened for discussion. The original subject was "WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP" and I would venture to guess most of us here would interpret that to mean the ABSOLUTE BEST AMPLIFIER IN THE WORLD in ALL terms-sound quality, stability, delicacy, imaging, accuracy, speed, detail, power and so on and so forth.

I agree the Sunfire is a spectacular product, an unqualified bargain, a TRUE High-End product at a BARGAIN price; however I am not sure it is in quite the same league as the Levinson, Halcro, Classe', Audio Research, Anthem Statement, Pass Laboratories, MBL and so on products that are COST-NO-OBJECT (for the most part).

That being said, it sure is fun discussing these sort of topics with fellow audiophiles and I am happy for the chance to discuss Sunfire-a product I truly believe in, just as you do.
Tom Sarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #22

Smile Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

TRAVISG, Tom Sarratt, I am also a fan of Sunfire equipment. In my deejay years, when we could afford it, we traded our Dynaco and Crown power amplifiers for the Phase Linear amps. Plenty of power, reserve, dynamics and bass. Oddly enough, at that time, their equipment was more expensive, then the Dynaco and Crown amplifiers.
To me Bob Carver, has always gotten a raw deal. Its almost like, the AV industry was jealous, that he could turn out high quality equipment, at not Mark Levinson prices. (205 watt per channel Magnetic Field Amp) I remember back then, The Absolute Sound would not even review, their stuff. Now, all of a sudden, everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.
Who makes the best amp? How can you really answer that?
Classe`, Halcro, Mark Lev, etc. are all great amps.However, where does price fit in? Can we not get speed, transparency, detail, delicacy at a good price. I believe Sunfire does. I would put Anthem products in their as well. The best amp COULD be one that emcompasses all of what you say Tom, and still not cost a house. Is their a difference between Sunfire, Anthem and a Mark Levinson and a McIntosh or Halcro, sure, but now, how much more?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #23

Thumbs up Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

kennyt,

No, unfortunately I did miss the Cabasse room. And, I really wanted to go to the Verity room. I had never heard any of their speakers and really wanted too. I can not think now of why I missed them. And I`m sure the Nagra was excellent. Sorry I missed that as well. I do not even think we have any Nagra dealers here in New York.
What do you think of The Verity spaekers? Where would you rank them in terms of speakers like Wilson Audio, Genesis, B & W, Avalon, etc.

A surprise also for me keenyt, was the Gershman Acoustics room. They had a pair of their towers playing some real music. And the sound was very detailed and balanced. Bass was good. I did not stay long, but definitely left impressed and would love to hear them again.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #24

I for one have never been very impressed withy the Gershman sound. I've seen the Swans (their large two piece model) at several shows with different gear. They just seem to sound 'flat' to me, kind of uninvolving. I find the Verity to be a very smooth and well balanced speaker, a little less upper end that B&W or the Wilson's, which I like.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, 3505, 51, amp, amplifier, amps, audio, bryston, car, ear, golden, guitar, mcintosh, money, pass, proacs, sounding, stereo, video