Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel)

Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) Go on a power trip talking about everything to do with power amplifiers.

Old 09-21-2007   #85

Default Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

[QUOTE=deacongreg;3310]

When I get one, I will pay extra for them to put my name on the front. How about that kennyt?

Do they do that???

Kind of hurts resale value some but you can always buy a new faceplate for McIntosh gear so...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #86

Looks like Ken has eaten some

lately.

I use to think Mac stuff was too retro too - I still think the pre's are... but the amp and the meters.... simply beautiful! Right up there with Pass for the best looking amps IMO.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #87

Where do MBL amps fit into this picture? I've never heard them, but every reviewer who listens to them seems to want them for their reference. They do look beautiful in the literature.

Maybe my ears are broken, but the last time I listened to a Bryston I was put off by its shrill, brittle, and overly bright sound in the upper frequencies. Yet I continue to see glowing reviews of these amps. Have they improved considerably in the 5 years since last I heard one?

My personal favorite amp is a little 70 watter from Conrad Johnson. I've never been a big fan of horn loaded speakers until I listened to a pair hooked up to a CJ LP70S.

I suppose that a person requires 2 amps. One with real slam for concert level sound, and one with finesse for laid back listening. So, I guess I'll take the CJ with some horn speakers for my 'easy listening' side and give me Krell with a pair of B & W 800D's for that Stevie Ray concert.

My local dealer recently replaced the Krell amps used to demo the B&W's with some 400 watt Classe' mono blocks. I wish I would have had the opportunity to compare the two side by side. But I seem to remember the Krells as having bigger bass.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #88

Butch,

I agree with you on the Bryston, never liked them, I speculate since most people lose hearing in the upper frequencies first, if you have some advanced hearing loss they might sound good, but they always sound harsh to me.

MBL makes some great gear, and their amps are excellent. HUGE and REALLY expensive... I mean like coffin sized and small condo priced...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #89

Smile Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

[QUOTE=kennyt;3340]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post

When I get one, I will pay extra for them to put my name on the front. How about that kennyt?

Do they do that???

Kind of hurts resale value some but you can always buy a new faceplate for McIntosh gear so...
I thought I read some time ago that you could do that. Or, maybe its like you say, you can specify the face plate. I must look into that. As far as the Krells bass, my friend had a pair of those great sounding NHT 3.3`s with a KSA - 100. Great bass yes, but a little over done to my hearing. But, maybe the side firing woofers, room acoustics, cables, played a part.

I like great bass, but only when its there. Most music outside of classical, the bass content rolls off at about 50Hz anyway. But that is what I hear. I like orchestration and horns. Thus, I like the whole spectrum of music reproduced without any exageration. Quincy Jones, Bob James, Bruckner, Phil Woods with strings, that type of stuff.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
Anyone have any experience with Simaudio amps?
Just a new member here, but I noticed this question regarding Simaudio. I have the Simaudio Titan 200 x 5 in my home theater system and it is an absolutely fantasic product. Where I use my HT system equally for stereo listening, it was important to me to have an amp that was equally as good for both HT and stereo. It is beautifully built and an incredible sounding amp which in my opinion is on par or exceeds many of the high-end amps on the market. I certainly have not heard all the other amps mentioned, but I urge anyone looking for a top-notch amp to give Sim a listen.
bluemark81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, 3505, 51, amp, amplifier, amps, audio, bryston, car, ear, golden, guitar, mcintosh, money, pass, proacs, sounding, stereo, video