Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel)

Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) Go on a power trip talking about everything to do with power amplifiers.

Old 09-20-2007   #79

Default Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

I have had some vintage McIntosh gear (sold for a ridiculous price to Japan) but I just can't get over the look, it is way to retro for my tastes.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGuy2007 View Post
This thread has been kind of stale lately but I think Krell amps have the best bass, period. I want to hear the new Evolution series soon.
For linear amps I would agree that Krell tops the list for bass reproduction - but the new switching amps are every bit as good. My NuForces are so good that they caused me to put my sub up for sale (I'm not joking).
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #81

Smile Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
Had a brief isten to the McIntosh amp and was pretty blown away. Music was...so musical and involving. It was certainly not layed back (which is what I expected); to the contrary, found lush and rather forward. Faced with the reality of $$$$.
Glad you got that opportunity. I told you that you would not be sorry. Yes, the cash is always a consideration.

Hopefully, some how, you can make it work.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #82

Thumbs up Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I have had some vintage McIntosh gear (sold for a ridiculous price to Japan) but I just can't get over the look, it is way to retro for my tastes.
Usually, we agree. One of the coolest things about Mac`s amplifiers, is those large big beautiful VU meters. The gold lettering and the face plate. This is why I am going to Binghamton for the 2 hour tour that they still have. Which shows you how everything is put together by hand, right up to the face plates.

When I get one, I will pay extra for them to put my name on the front. How about that kennyt?

Retro, Nah??!! Turn out the lights, put on Isaac Hayes, see those meters.............
Old 09-20-2007   #83

Smile Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
For linear amps I would agree that Krell tops the list for bass reproduction - but the new switching amps are every bit as good. My NuForces are so good that they caused me to put my sub up for sale (I'm not joking).
They do and have always had great bass. But sometimes, it sounds a little over done, or overly ripe to me. The Mac`s are tight, and smoother to me. But also, for excellent deep bass with slam and authority, the Brystons are great. And priced much better than the Krells.
Old 09-20-2007   #84

Krell amps have the best bass. Period.

j
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, 3505, 51, amp, amplifier, amps, audio, bryston, car, ear, golden, guitar, mcintosh, money, pass, proacs, sounding, stereo, video