Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel)

Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) Go on a power trip talking about everything to do with power amplifiers.

Old 08-06-2007   #61

Default Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST AMP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
That is pretty bold. Either they are very confident in their product, or its an interesting marketing scheme. Question, who is NuForce? I have not heard of their amplifiers. You and kennyt seem to know who they are.

Could you please enlighten me?
Here are a few links which review their amps. They are a San Jose based company who have received much praise (and controversy) for their digital amplifiers. They make a full range of products.

StereoTimes - Commentary

nuforce 9V2

NuForce

NuForce

This one is lots of fun... AudiogoN Forums: Not Another NuForce thread......
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
Here are a few links which review their amps. They are a San Jose based company who have received much praise (and controversy) for their digital amplifiers. They make a full range of products.

StereoTimes - Commentary

nuforce 9V2

NuForce

NuForce

This one is lots of fun... AudiogoN Forums: Not Another NuForce thread......
Thanks, I`ll check them out now before logging off. Its eleven here on the east coast in New York. Time to chill and shut down.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #63
jbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Hey jbk, you are right, there are differet price ranges, designs, makes, quality, all out assaults, etc. But I`m sure within your time as a music enthusiast, that something came across your path, that either blew your mind, or you said to yourself, those amps or that amp sounded great.

Or better yet, if money was not an issue, what would jbk pick up?
Silver Supra,

I'll have to be a little evasive on this one...

It would depend on whether I stayed with the two channel setup I have or move to a multi-channel hi resolution system.

On the former, I always think in terms of system synergies. Right now I have a Krell KST100 and VTL 5.5 pre. So if I replaced the Krell with a big dollar amp then I would have to replace the PreAmp, too. Probably the whole chain of electronics.....having said that

I like the Lamm amps. I didn't care for the MBL I heard, too YIN.

VTL's are very nice but border on the YIN side. I haven't heard the Krell evolution series yet.

My goal setting up a system for music is having a neutral system. Nothing embellishing the sound and nothing be subtracted from the software be it CD, SACD or vinyl. After all we don't know how the album was recorded or what the artist's intention was when he recorded. And, I don't think that you can consider studio music "real live music" per se...it's not going to sound like that played live unless you're Pink Floyd....

If I went with the multi channel setup. I would be price conscious(unless I won the lottery) and probably go with the Anthem Statement Reference processor and mulit channel amp. But this would be for a hi resolution home theater setup because I haven't heard a good music only multichannel setup yet.

And, just to ruffle everyones feathers. I still fell that multi channel music is a little like the old Quadraphonic mumbo jumbo. Just a marketing ploy to get our money. After all, when you go listen to live music the band or group is on stage right in front of you. I don't know how anyone can capture the ambiance of the music by placing microphones around a studio. The multi channel cd's isn't like listening to BB King with his band on Stage at the New Jersey State Theater in New Brunswick!! I don't see how the live performance can be reproduced by multi channel recordings in a studio.

So what I like is neutral equipment if there is such a thing. And, my system to approximate live music if the medium is up to it.

JBK
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #64

Update -

The NuForce V2 SE's are plugged into my system (see below)

Esoteric DV-50 (Source)
ARC LS-26 (Line Stage)
Aerial 10T's (Speakers)
Using balanced Sorcerer 4d Audio Magic cables throughout.

First impressions.... wow.

These have some big (and heavy and hot) shoes to fill taking the place of my Levinson 336. So far they are doing an amazing job. Detail is on a whole other level than the 336. I truly am hearing things in recordings that I haven't before.

I was concerned that the bass performance would not be up to snuff considering how power hungry my Aerials are. That fear is long gone, what is crazy is that the bass actually digs deeper and is faster than the Levinson - which is absolutely shocking to me.

Vocals are smooth and sweet. Forgot to mention that I have NEVER heard a blacker background.... ever.

The big guys truly have something to worry about with these little 14 lb amps.

Back to listening.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #65

Jim (Silver Supra... or did I just reveal the secret...)

I wish you lived closer so I could hear them!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
Silver Supra,

I'll have to be a little evasive on this one...

It would depend on whether I stayed with the two channel setup I have or move to a multi-channel hi resolution system.

On the former, I always think in terms of system synergies. Right now I have a Krell KST100 and VTL 5.5 pre. So if I replaced the Krell with a big dollar amp then I would have to replace the PreAmp, too. Probably the whole chain of electronics.....having said that

I like the Lamm amps. I didn't care for the MBL I heard, too YIN.

VTL's are very nice but border on the YIN side. I haven't heard the Krell evolution series yet.

My goal setting up a system for music is having a neutral system. Nothing embellishing the sound and nothing be subtracted from the software be it CD, SACD or vinyl. After all we don't know how the album was recorded or what the artist's intention was when he recorded. And, I don't think that you can consider studio music "real live music" per se...it's not going to sound like that played live unless you're Pink Floyd....

If I went with the multi channel setup. I would be price conscious(unless I won the lottery) and probably go with the Anthem Statement Reference processor and mulit channel amp. But this would be for a hi resolution home theater setup because I haven't heard a good music only multichannel setup yet.

And, just to ruffle everyones feathers. I still fell that multi channel music is a little like the old Quadraphonic mumbo jumbo. Just a marketing ploy to get our money. After all, when you go listen to live music the band or group is on stage right in front of you. I don't know how anyone can capture the ambiance of the music by placing microphones around a studio. The multi channel cd's isn't like listening to BB King with his band on Stage at the New Jersey State Theater in New Brunswick!! I don't see how the live performance can be reproduced by multi channel recordings in a studio.

So what I like is neutral equipment if there is such a thing. And, my system to approximate live music if the medium is up to it.

JBK
You do want your system to be as neutral as possible. But I believe, that all the components add a little sonic signature of their own. That being said, responding to your comment on multi-channel music and quadrophonic music. 2 years ago at the hi-fi show, I believe at the Statler Hilton Hotel in New York, I heard one of the best setups I have ever heard. Anthem electronics with Paradigm speakers.
They started the demo with Patricia Barber`s Cafe Blue cd. Exceptional sound. I had not heard the cd at this point. And was not really familiar with her. Though everyone raves about her. Well, the sound was open, clear, articulate, plenty of ambience, tight controlled bass, just great. I beleive it was the best sound of the show. Then, they played that Sky Captain movie, great home theater sound, nothing over done. The best system i have heard from a system doing both music and movies.
And I heard more expensive gear at the Sound by Singer rooms, but this is what I took home in my memory banks.
As far as what the studio does and live music. I never thought about it like that. However, though live the band is in fornt of you, you know sound does not come at you just directly. Or, in stereo for that matter. Room reflections and so much more, effect what is going on by the time it gets to our ears. So, I never thought it was a rip off, just trying to capture all the music that is being reproduced.
As far as amps, I have read very good reviews on the lamms amps, but I have never heard them. VTL`s I heard at the Statler show, but did not really like the speakers connected to them. In fact, I have not really heard a lot of tube gear. I don`t know if its because most of what I`m familiar with is solid state, Krell, Mark-Lev, my favorite - McIntosh, Carver, Anthem, Bryston, and good value for the money - Adcom.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, 3505, 51, amp, amplifier, amps, audio, bryston, car, ear, golden, guitar, mcintosh, money, pass, proacs, sounding, stereo, video