Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel-4/)
-   -   Bel Canto Amplication (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel/559-bel-canto-amplication.html)

deacongreg 08-29-2007 01:39 PM

Bel Canto Amplication

In this age of digital technology and i - podism, we still love and talk about our megabuck amplifiers with high current, high power, and fast slew rates. However, in todays home theater systems, space requirements a lot of times, are at a premium. Which makes the decision as what to use, more difficult. Even having to consider a home theater receiver. And while that, in todays marketplace, that is a pretty good thing, there are those of us that still prefer separates, and need more power then current receivers can deliver.
Bel Canto, known probably for their PL - 1 universal DVD player, makes and produce stereo and mono blocks amplifiers at very small dimensions. I believe there is a huge place for them right now in the industry. What do you think?

Robinson_A 08-29-2007 03:21 PM

Re: Bel Canto Amplication

a few years ago I wouldn't have agreed with you. my first experience with digital amplification, more specifically ICE amps contained inside B&O loudspeakers, was less than positive. While hugely impressive in terms of sheer output and lack of heat, I found the sound to be rather thin, bright and a bit too "smooth" with a clear lack of weight in the lower regions. Now this may have been more or less a design flaw with the older B&O speaker but never the less this was my experience. Digital amps, to me, were a gimicky thing a toy of sorts that someday, in the hands of the right people, would maybe join the ranks of the traditional amplifier.

Fast forward to today and my new found respect and admiration for all things digital amplification, esspecially in regards to BelCanto's products. The days of thin, bright and glassy sound are over, what's left is nothing but a sort of sonic purity I've only managed to hear reproduced a few times with gear costing tens of thousands of dollars. BelCanto has caused me to rethink my entire system and future systems for that matter.

I've even begun experiementing with other digital amps to see if the sound quality is unique to just BelCanto or if others have managed to 'unlock' the secret. My latest find, and probably the coolest so far has been the Sonic Impact digital amplifer. Oh and it only cost me roughly $50 including shipping. This little (and I mean little) thing is truly impressive. While not BelCanto good or NuForce, for $50 it has no right sounding as good as it does. I'm currently reviewing a BelCanto Integrated amplifier and fellow writer Tom Garcia is working on their mono blocks. Digital amplification is here and here to stay.

My question is, will companies like Levinson or Krell make a run at producing a digital amp? If they did, I sure would like to see, uh-um, hear it. What do you think?

deacongreg 08-29-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson_A (Post 2341)
a few years ago I wouldn't have agreed with you. my first experience with digital amplification, more specifically ICE amps contained inside B&O loudspeakers, was less than positive. While hugely impressive in terms of sheer output and lack of heat, I found the sound to be rather thin, bright and a bit too "smooth" with a clear lack of weight in the lower regions. Now this may have been more or less a design flaw with the older B&O speaker but never the less this was my experience. Digital amps, to me, were a gimicky thing a toy of sorts that someday, in the hands of the right people, would maybe join the ranks of the traditional amplifier.

Fast forward to today and my new found respect and admiration for all things digital amplification, esspecially in regards to BelCanto's products. The days of thin, bright and glassy sound are over, what's left is nothing but a sort of sonic purity I've only managed to hear reproduced a few times with gear costing tens of thousands of dollars. BelCanto has caused me to rethink my entire system and future systems for that matter.

I've even begun experiementing with other digital amps to see if the sound quality is unique to just BelCanto or if others have managed to 'unlock' the secret. My latest find, and probably the coolest so far has been the Sonic Impact digital amplifer. Oh and it only cost me roughly $50 including shipping. This little (and I mean little) thing is truly impressive. While not BelCanto good or NuForce, for $50 it has no right sounding as good as it does. I'm currently reviewing a BelCanto Integrated amplifier and fellow writer Tom Garcia is working on their mono blocks. Digital amplification is here and here to stay.

My question is, will companies like Levinson or Krell make a run at producing a digital amp? If they did, I sure would like to see, uh-um, hear it. What do you think?

You know, I do agree with you a far as digital amps. I did not take them seriously. But after HE2007, and Bel Canto, I like what I hear. Its good you are testing to see if the sound is unique to Bel Canto. For some reason, I think it is. The Yamaha amp is good that came out last year was good and very small but no match for the Bel Canto.

As far as Krell or Mark Levinson, I can`t see them doing it. Too long believing that their research and technologies are the way to audio purity. In fact, with Krell`s new cost no object amps, I definitely don`t see Dan jumping on the digital band wagon. Though it would be interesting to see what he and Mark would come up with.
What about our favorite, McIntosh? Can you see them going digital? Nah!!!!!!!!

Robinson_A 08-29-2007 05:17 PM

it's a long shot, but a man can dream. if Ferrari can make a hybrid car out of cardboard (yes that's right cardboard) then perhaps the likes of Krell and Levinson can shock the world with something a bit different. If not, I'm happy there are companies like BelCanto and Co. out there.

kennyt 08-30-2007 05:35 AM

Cardboard Ferrari???

Maybe I could afford that one! I wonder what the maintainance is for that one.... Well sir your Ferrari saw the rain yesterday, so we will do a simple rain repair... Please remit $203,876.67 for the necessary repairs which we will start upon receipt of funds. You should be able to have your car back by 2008...

deacongreg 08-30-2007 12:34 PM

Cardboard?! Well, I have not heard of that one Andrew. Could you shed some more light on that one.
Agreed. I hope that Bel Canto continues and improves on what already seems to be a great product.
Will be awaiting your review.