Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel-4/)
-   -   Rowland (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel/277-rowland.html)

deacongreg 07-20-2007 12:50 PM

Rowland

A few years ago, along with the likes of Mark Levinson, McIntosh, Theta, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Threshold, and Bryston, the Jeff Rowland Design Group was touted and talked out along with these companies as one of the best amplifiers to buy. What has happened to the rowland brand?

kennyt 07-20-2007 02:10 PM

Re: Rowland

They are still around and in fact now have a digital amp! I don't see them much, I beleive Jeff Rowland still lives in Colorado if I'm not mistaken and is still making amps.

deacongreg 07-21-2007 02:55 PM

Wow, a digital amp. Based on his previous design concepts, I would not think that Jeff Rowland would go the digital amp route. His amps had a huge and robust sound, but smooth as well with good bottom.

Hopefully the company is in good shape.

Silver Supra 07-26-2007 06:17 PM

Don't assume that Class-D = bad sounding amp.

I'll be auditioning one out soon which has been touted as being better then the very best of traditional high-end amps. I am staying open minded - and honestly hope the hype is all true.

I for one would love a couple of 15 lb amps which put out little to no heat and sound fabulous. :)

JerryDelColliano 07-27-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 1361)
Wow, a digital amp. Based on his previous design concepts, I would not think that Jeff Rowland would go the digital amp route. His amps had a huge and robust sound, but smooth as well with good bottom.

Hopefully the company is in good shape.

----

Companies like Rowland sell most of their gear overseas so that likely effects how well they are doing overall. With the horrific death of audiophile stores because of the rise of audiogon and their refusal to market - there simply aren't that many places to learn about cool gear like Jeff Rowland anymore. Moreover Rowland doesn't advertise anywhere that I can see. How can you woo new clients without advertising? Consumer demand is everything. Ask Ferrari. Ask Jimmy Choo. Even ask Vizio.

Rowland gear has historically sounded very good. A little dry but VERY accurate. The metal work was stunning. The kind of gear you DREAMED of owning. Really sexy.

Digital amps by no means are low-end. I have heard STELLAR digital amps. I would bet anything Rowland put out would be very very good.

Robinson_A 08-04-2007 09:39 AM

Uh-um regarding the digital amp debate. Digital T-amps, when designed and used properly, are anything but low-end or simple "toys" they are some of the best out there today. Check out companies like Bel Canto if you want to hear just how KILLER digital amplification can be. Nu-Force is another good option. That being said, Sonic Impact makes an AWESOME little digital amp that is CHEAP and will give you a taste of just how good digital can be. However, if you want reference digital amplification Bel Canto must be on the short list.