Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel-4/)
-   -   Crown (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel/248-crown.html)

deacongreg 07-09-2007 02:43 PM

Crown

When i was in college, the amps that I knew of where McIntosh, Dynaco, Phase Linear (now SunFire) and Crown. Crown seemed to enjoy a lofty reputation for putting out good power in demanding situations, and were known for rock solid stability. You could beat them up, and they would keep on going. Anyone know, what happened to Crown?

JerryDelColliano 09-18-2007 06:06 PM

Re: Crown

I think Crown is now owned by Harman.

Critics of Mark Levinson say that Levinson amps are now just glorified Crown amps but I think they are a little misguided. I know for a fact Mark Levinson (HSG) has entire teams dedicated to designing inovative new amps. There were a few at CEDIA including one designed to be a like the lauded No. 33.

deacongreg 10-25-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 3014)
I think Crown is now owned by Harman.

Critics of Mark Levinson say that Levinson amps are now just glorified Crown amps but I think they are a little misguided. I know for a fact Mark Levinson (HSG) has entire teams dedicated to designing inovative new amps. There were a few at CEDIA including one designed to be a like the lauded No. 33.

WOW, that is some statement. But, does not sound right. Crown`s ownership in the past was pretty solid for a while. Then, things started to fizzle a little. Then they came back a few years ago a new power amp, which both the Absolute Sound and Stereophile rated very well, then disappeared again.

I hope the company can be revived. And the topologies for both amps I would think are totally different for people to think Mark Levinson amps are glorified Crowns. I thought Mr. Levinson was still in control of what goes on? I know he is in to that Burwen Bobcat with computers and bookshelf speaker thing, but................

bluextatic 10-30-2007 11:50 AM

I THOUGHT THAT CROWN WAS A PART OF HARMAN INTERNATIONAL ALSO, BUT AFTER CHECKING THEIR WEBSITE, I'M AFRAID THAT THEY HAVE GONE WITH THE LIKES OF OTHER MANUFACTURES SUCH AS PHASE LINEAR AND S.A.E.

deacongreg 11-01-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluextatic (Post 5348)
I THOUGHT THAT CROWN WAS A PART OF HARMAN INTERNATIONAL ALSO, BUT AFTER CHECKING THEIR WEBSITE, I'M AFRAID THAT THEY HAVE GONE WITH THE LIKES OF OTHER MANUFACTURES SUCH AS PHASE LINEAR AND S.A.E.

Well, Phase Linear is now "Sunfire." Bob Carver at the head. I have no idea what happened to S.A.E. My firsy audio gig I sold S.A.E. with Infinity speakers when Arnie Nudell was still at the helm.