Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel)

Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) Go on a power trip talking about everything to do with power amplifiers.

Old 07-01-2008   #43

Default Re: Pairing Amps with Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Also - how to figure out the speakers' power ratings? Some speakers mention continuous and peak power figures. So I guess the amp headroom should be above peak power?
regards
Never look at peak power.. Rule of Thumb. A speaker can only do peak power for a few minutes (10-20 minutes, depending on quality of speaker/magnets/ect.) Always go by the continous watts. For example, I'm going to get off topic just a hair, for car speakers. Your door speakers should be regularly between 50 and 75 watts RMS (continuous) and 200-300 (peak) watts. When do you ever achieve 200 watts? Never. Same with home theater speakers, your watching a movie, and continuously for 2 hours, the speakers will pump out their continuous watts. Now lets say theres bombs dropping and planes flying, bullets shooting, lots of action..... your speakers will push out a little more power to emphisize the action, especially the subwoofer.

Bottom line, always use Continuous Watts. Same applys for your Amp. The cooler the temperature of your speakers and the amp, the better efficiency the power has, leading to better sound.
Ttone305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Um, I have to disagree with this statement.

In general, the more 'ways' a speaker is, the more difficult it is to make the speaker balanced across the spectrum and the crossover gets way more difficult, causing a loss in efficiency usually. I have had four and five ways and even two ways, many still hold true to single driver speakers, at huge cost. Clearly their is debate at best on this topic.

I think generalizations like these are dangerous, particularly to a newbie how doesn't have the years of experience in this field.

I think you are looking at how many, though certainly not all, speaker lines increase in 'ways' as you progress up the line, and you are extrapolating that thus this improves sound, and I think this is an inaccurate step of logic.
You are absolutely right about generalizations. My point in my explanation was to provide some background on speakers. I am a DJ / Producer, so I know ALL about sound quality, as it is ESSENTIAL in my field. As far as my studio system, I have different sized monitors, different sized subs, and crossovers to cover every frequency possible of music.

My approach was more budget-friendly, for people who don't have tens of thousands to invest in equiptment of the sort. And for that reason, yes, generally, a 3-way alone will sound better than a 2-way alone because the built-in crossovers send certain frequencies to certain drivers, leading to more accurate sound.

Just think of the contrast. You have a 1-way as a center...... Example..... Vin Desiels voice is deeper than lets say Jessica Alba. So in this case, yes, a 2-way will sound better than the 1-way in the sense that the tweeter will balance out the frequencies in voices.

Another example, a bomb dropping.. Imagine the sound of the bomb dropping through the air (high frequency sound), then the contact with the ground (lower-mid-bass) and the rumble of the ground after the impact (low frequency). 1-Way? won't handle this much of the spectrum. 2-Way? A little better, because the bass goes to the woofer, and the snare goes to the tweeter. 3-Way? Could possibly be a tweeter, mid-range, and woofer (see how we're separating the frequencies so each driver has a task rather than one driver having more responsiblilty?)

Think of it as a workplace. Lets say... a real estate agency. One agent, managing a business (broker), keeping track of records (secretary), and showing property (agent).
Old 07-01-2008   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Does it apply to front towers or for surrounds as well?
regards
It applies to both. However, here we know that more sound will come from the front stage than from the rear. So a 2-Way Surround will be sufficient, since they won't be as loud to create the "surround" effect instead of "holy **** theres something behind me". Towers... 3/4-Ways will work great.
Old 07-01-2008   #46

Ttone305,

Nope, still must disagree, but I see more your rational for your statement.

I think the design of the speaker and crossover are more important the numbers of types of drivers ('Ways').

Case in point, I'm currently am running a pair of two ways fronts, that go from 18Hz to 50kHz, and have clearly demoed them at 20Hz using Chesky's 5.1 heartbeat sounds @ 20Hz, and yes, they will do it and to sizable volume. I have had three and four ways not come close to reproducing this tone, and these speakers exhibit an exceptional balance across the frequency range, and also have the fastest sound I've ever heard.

In general what you say about better range coverage is true as you step up in ONE line of speakers, but it is not accurate when comparing different speakers to any degree, and this can be proven from the extreme end of the spectrum as well, a good Lowther driver single driver speaker can have very good range and balance, except for the extremes, which many four and five ways also will lack in.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #47

I have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion, except to say that KennyT is still my hero.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
I have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion, except to say that KennyT is still my hero.
WOW!

I suddenly feel all warm and fuzzy inside!!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
amp, amplifier, amps, jbl, jlb, l890, mono, pair, pairing, recommended, s3100, selection, speakers, st, stereo