Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel)

Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) Go on a power trip talking about everything to do with power amplifiers.

Old 02-15-2008   #19

Default Re: Amps for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Ah Moose, we are only leading you astray.....
Don't worry about "leading me astray" this is very informative & anyone who doesn't know much about separates can use this type of info!

So another question is what kind of SS amp?
From what I can remember reading in magazines there are a few different types, A, B, AB, D & Digital or something like that.

The first question is wouldn't all Solid State amps be digital & what are the differences in all the different types of amps?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #20

Class A use full power all the time, so they are always ready to output it. They run hot and eat up electricity.

Class B switches on and off as needed, saves power and heat

Class A/B works like class A to a point, then uses class B type switching for the higher outputs.

D are digital or switching amps, they've been around a while but people are really just getting them accepted by the high end. No, all solid state amps are not digital amps.

This is obviously only a brief overview, but will give you the idea.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #21

How about the new Pioneer SC-09TX that has 7 200W Class D amps with all the bells and whistles of a high end receiver in one package? Anyone get to see one in action yet? It may be the best of both worlds of Receiver and Amp Pre/Pro separates.
docjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #22

If that is the new TOTL like $7K one, I saw and heard it @ CEDIA this year, that thing is pretty sweet, you can also do 10 channels @ 140 wpc.

That said, I wouldn't trade my Levinson for it!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Don't worry about "leading me astray" this is very informative & anyone who doesn't know much about separates can use this type of info!
Agreed. Moose, you just saved me from having to ask, lol. Thanks, you couldn't have started this thread at a better time.
quikslvr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #24

Earlier in this thread, someone commented that amps usually sound better at low volumes than receivers. This Pioneer SC-09 TX has something called Dolby Loudness, which is to try to compensate for this apparent problem. I have not heard about this feature, so it must be something new from Dolby Labs. Anyone else hear about this feature on any other receiver or pre/pro and how it performs or is it nonsense? Thanks.
docjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
5808ci, amplifiers, amps, audiovideo, building, class, components, denon, dummies, faq, info, mosfet, mosfets, power, stereo, transistors