Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel)

Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) Go on a power trip talking about everything to do with power amplifiers.

Old 02-15-2008   #7

Default Re: Amps for dummies

rlpii,

Ground hums can happen in any system, they are not specific to receiver/amp systems. I have even had my cable be the cause of these from improper grounding as the main cable box for a multi unit building.

Just to also clarify, the idea of adding amps to a receiver is a stepping stone, more than an ends though for some it is sufficient.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #8

Smile Re: Amps for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
For some reason that doesn't surprise me at all!!
You know, Moose, high powered amps are great. They produce very clean power. And, that is one of the keys too. High power means you have more available power, when its called upon. And that, is very important all the time, especially in a dedicated 5.1 and 7.1 system. Also, there is the time you listen at low volumes. That is also when clean power is important.

Transients, a major problem for amps and receivers, those short bursts can wreck havoc, create much distortion, screw up your sound. So, high power is not a good thing, its a great thing.

So, even though I like my music loud, like kenny, it means nothing if its not reproduced cleanly.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #9

Food for thought Moose. I started with Paradigm Studio 100's driven by a Marantz SR-19. The receiver is rated at 105wpc. I have the idea that more power is better and so began searching for an amp to run using the receivers pre-outs. Initially, I just wanted a 2-channel to run stereo. I auditioned a Bryston. Too bright! Rotel. Too grainy. Adcom GFA535. Slightly bettered the sound of the SR-19 in strereo(it maintained the smooth, slightly warm sound that led me to the Marantz) and played every bit as loud even though its only rated at 60wpc. (must have something to do with the amount of current a dedicated amp delivers vs a receiver) The real payoff was when playing all 5 channels. The whole system seemed improved, especially the center channel. I think that relieving the receiver of the chore of driving the big Paradigms allowed it to supply more power to the center and surrounds. Last week I installed an Anthem Statement A5. Its not the last word in solid state but it is a noticeable, but not huge, improvement over the Adcom and the Marantz. I debate with myself whether it was worth the extra bucks, but there's just something so cool about looking at that big beast. Next year I'll be looking for a pre pro to replace the receiver. I'm thinking AVM50. If you want to experiment with an outboard amp, I'd be happy to loan you the Adcom amp for how ever long you want (within reason).
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #10

Ok when you guys are talking about more power just exactly are you talking about?
My 3808 is a 7.1 receiver & has 130 watts a channel & I can really get it cranking on movies, now are you saying I should be looking at an amp with say 260 watts a channel or are the amps so much better I can get more out of the same 130 watts in an amp?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
The real payoff was when playing all 5 channels. The whole system seemed improved, especially the center channel. I think that relieving the receiver of the chore of driving the big Paradigms allowed it to supply more power to the center and surrounds.
This is true. I do the same thing myself. However I find a non-linear discconect between the two amplifier sections as I increase or decrease the overall volume on the system. The mains increase or decrease at a different decibal/watt rate than the other three speakers. Nahmean?

Last edited by Enoch; 02-15-2008 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: html error
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #12

Another piece of the puzzle is resale. Upgredeitis is a common ailment amongst our gang, so when the desease flairs its ugly head you won't take a beating on GOOD used amps. A five year old receiver is basically worth zilch, but a five year old amp defintly has some value. As to power, more is always, always better.
GG386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
5808ci, amplifiers, amps, audiovideo, building, class, components, denon, dummies, faq, info, mosfet, mosfets, power, stereo, transistors