Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel-4/)
-   -   Aragon 2005 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel/1419-aragon-2005-a.html)

Shamboola 01-09-2008 12:00 PM

Aragon 2005

Dear AV Members,

I have an opportunity to get an Aragon 2005 amp. It was made in 2002, has five channels at 200 watts each, and is roughly the size of a Volkswagon.

Does anyone know about these amps, good or bad? It has been used as a demo in a controlled room. I realize that the brand is no longer made and that makes me a bit nervous for future repairs.

So, what do you think?

Thanks,

Rob

kennyt 01-09-2008 06:28 PM

Re: Aragon 2005

I used to own and Aragon 4004 MkII and it is still in use in my brother system. I don't know about the 2005 which was a late model, but the 4004 was designed by Dan D'Agostino (Krell) and a solid amp. I beat the heck out of mine and it was used when i got it and my brother is no easier on his amps and it is still going strong....

Shamboola 01-09-2008 07:29 PM

Ken,

Thanks so much for the info. It sure looks solid and quite huge. I am wondering where to put it if I do buy it but I have a feeling that it will make my speakers sing. A few years ago I hooked them up to a Classe and the sound was amazing. I just cannot justify the price for a Classe but this used Aragon might fit the bill.

Rob

kennyt 01-09-2008 07:55 PM

FWIW The older Aragon I had was a little bright for my tastes, but depending on you, your room, system etc... that could be a plus or minus, and I do not have any experience with the newer models, so I guess what I am saying is YMMV!

deacongreg 01-10-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamboola (Post 9143)
Ken,

Thanks so much for the info. It sure looks solid and quite huge. I am wondering where to put it if I do buy it but I have a feeling that it will make my speakers sing. A few years ago I hooked them up to a Classe and the sound was amazing. I just cannot justify the price for a Classe but this used Aragon might fit the bill.

Rob

From what I remember of Aragon, they were solid, built well, with a very controlled type sound. Its been a while though, and I`m not familar with the later models either. But, if budget is a consideration, (most of us are not like my man kennyt!! lol), Adcom I would consider.

Very well built, reliable, plenty of power per dollar, a good value, and sounds really good with a lot of different gear. I sold Adcom in my Harvey electronic days. So, I have personal experience with them.

Lotus 01-11-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamboola (Post 9128)
Dear AV Members,

I have an opportunity to get an Aragon 2005 amp. It was made in 2002, has five channels at 200 watts each, and is roughly the size of a Volkswagon.

Does anyone know about these amps, good or bad? It has been used as a demo in a controlled room. I realize that the brand is no longer made and that makes me a bit nervous for future repairs.

So, what do you think?

Thanks,

Rob

Actually I believe the brand is still in existence. It's called Klipsch Aragon now.

I consider Paul Rosenberg (ex-Co Founder of Aragon) as one of the best people in the business....

their amps were some of the best you could buy for the money.

So if you do have issues (not likely they were also reknowned tanks) you can always contact Klipsch (who bought Aragon).