Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel-4/)
-   -   Spectral (http://www.avrev.com/forum/amplifiers-mono-stereo-multi-channel/1267-spectral.html)

deacongreg 12-05-2007 05:35 PM

Spectral

Keith Johnson, if I`m not mistaken the genius behind Conrad Johnson, developed Spectral amplifiers. I had the pleasure years ago at the premiere high end shop at that time in New York, Lyric Hi-Fi of having a demo. I heard the Spectral combo (amp and preamp) with Infinity IRSes. The cleanest, purest sound I had ever heard. Every note, instrument seemed to come across so easily. I heard things I never heard before.

However, no one seemed to carry their gear, other than Lyric. And very, very few reviews. So, anyone here on the forum have experience with one of the best demos I have ever heard of an amplifier?

Silver Supra 12-06-2007 03:48 PM

Re: Spectral

No personal experience with Spectral - but I've heard nothing but good things about their equipment from people whose opinion I highly respect.

xyclo 12-06-2007 07:43 PM

Innovative Audio in New York carries Spectral. I've heard them drive a pair of Wilson Alexandrias. The combination was remarkable.

Was thinking about driving a pair of Duettes with the DMA-100S someday.

deacongreg 12-08-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyclo (Post 7265)
Innovative Audio in New York carries Spectral. I've heard them drive a pair of Wilson Alexandrias. The combination was remarkable.

Was thinking about driving a pair of Duettes with the DMA-100S someday.

That is awesome. Nice to see a New Yorker. Innovative was the first place I heard, as I was telling Jerry, one of the best demos of my life. The small Pro ac bookshelf speakers with Mark Levinson electronics. I have never forgotten those Pro acs and that demo.

The Spectral DMA100S is a great amp. I hope you get to live that dream.

deacongreg 12-08-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Supra (Post 7249)
No personal experience with Spectral - but I've heard nothing but good things about their equipment from people whose opinion I highly respect.

I can only tell you that, the adjective for this amps sound, is sweet clean. Everything is just "OPEN." Like the veil has been lifted. I know that sounds clichish, but that is it.

xyclo 12-09-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 7340)
That is awesome. Nice to see a New Yorker. Innovative was the first place I heard, as I was telling Jerry, one of the best demos of my life. The small Pro ac bookshelf speakers with Mark Levinson electronics. I have never forgotten those Pro acs and that demo.

The Spectral DMA100S is a great amp. I hope you get to live that dream.

I've heard that with Spectral, similar to Naim, it's best to stay within the brand for pre-amp/amp. They utilize bespoke interconnects from MIT on their non-universal components, that ultimately means you're better off using Spectral amp and pre-amp.

Have you ever heard Spectral in combination with non-Spectral sources?

I'm hoping the price point will be attractive because they are American made. I'm finding many of the non-US companies are getting very expensive due to the weak dollar, e.g. Naim, Burmester, T+A.