Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   AC Power (http://www.avrev.com/forum/ac-power-16/)
-   -   Dirty AC and the theater (http://www.avrev.com/forum/ac-power/883-dirty-ac-theater.html)

Watermonkey 10-11-2007 11:26 PM

Dirty AC and the theater

Many years ago (1991) I went to school at Shoreline Community College in the greater Puget Sound region in what's now Shoreline, Washington to become an Audio Engineer. I graduated in 1993 with an AA/AS in Music in Performance and Industry (Audio Engineering Option) and since then it's been the reason for my excruciatingly uncompromising taste and requirements in my personal audio gear to the point that I don't actually own a "theater" because the cost for building the room, let alone purchasing the $50k or so worth of electronics, is beyond my means thus far.

I have, however, a few pieces that could be thrown together to "make" a system if the room were built today and they include massive P.A. speakers such as Mackie SRS1500 (15 inch sub) and mains: Mackie SRM450, along with a pair of studio monitors that cost as much as the 450s, Mackie HR824. So all I'd need to add is a Mackie HR626 for the center (or a pair of 624s) and the 5.1 setup would be complete. Here's my question: Given my obvious love affair for all things self-amplified (not all Mackie, I'd have a 2700W Sunfire sub (or two) in the theater given a choice), what would the reader recommend I use to clean up the power? Should I just build a battery room off to the side and buy a 15,000 watts worth of inverters or is there a more cost-effective way to achieve the clean U.P.S. sound I dream of...

wazzzup 10-18-2007 10:17 AM

Re: Dirty AC and the theater

Id check out www.purepowerAPS.com and look at their 1500. its a little pricey but probably has the technology you are looking for.

wazzzup 10-18-2007 10:19 AM

Id also try posting your same question in the "AC Power" forum.

Bob Hodas 10-18-2007 11:56 AM

This is not my department and in fact belongs in another forum but Monster Cable also makes some inexpensive boxes that work fairly well. I own one myself.
BH

Watermonkey 10-20-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hodas (Post 4549)
This is not my department and in fact belongs in another forum but Monster Cable also makes some inexpensive boxes that work fairly well. I own one myself.
BH

I've actually got a Monster Power product, kinda old now, but I'm not convinced it's anything more than a glorified surge protector with neat LEDs on the front and a cool, though inaccurate, analog meter displaying the line voltage. It most certainly does not re-build the sine wave or provide any level of back-up power to protect from frequent power outages that I endure here. It's fine for my Costco-purchased Technics receiver/amp and Panasonic TV, Sony VCR, Sony DVD player, and Satellite receiver. But it wouldn't be welcome anywhere near a rack of Sunfire components or behind Mackie or Sunfire speakers. I think whatever I decide I'll have a small rack of batteries, enough to provide some hours of quiet entertainment, behind an array of inverters. So much space consumed, though...

Bob Hodas 10-22-2007 02:19 PM

I can't say that i have ever done a competitive listening between power conditioners. I have heard some expensive boxes that did sound bad though (hum). While the Monster box is definitely "Consumer Level", it was designed by the fellow that did all of MITs power conditioners. He doesn't suck. But while my system sounds great, I cannot say it is because of the conditioner. Have you checked out the Shinyata boxes, they are getting some good press. I'm planning on a system rebuild that may replace the Monster with the Shinyata.