Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > AC Power

AC Power Getting clean, reliable power to your system is a major topic. Discuss solutions and applications here.

Old 09-27-2007   #1

Default How are you handling "overvoltage"?

Perhaps this is not the place to ask, but what is considered "overvoltage"? There are areas (like mine) where the daytime voltage seems to range from 115 to 125v during the day and peaks to 130-135v in the evening and weekends. Obviously I am concerned about my MediaCenter PC, plasma TV, etc.

What is considered "overvoltage" and what devices are you using to combat it? I currently have an APC Back-UPS HT 1500VA which claims to do power conditioning as well as UPS functions, but am not sure that its an optimal solution.
helmkera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #2
Administrator

Default Re: How are you handling "overvoltage"?

I'd perhaps try asking user Bob Rapoport. He is with a company called PurePower APS. Yes he reps a company that makes an AC power product (and it is outstanding) but I'm sure he will have some interesting info for you and call tell you in a non "hard-sell" way.

Thanks
AVRevForum.com
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007   #3

Smile Re: How are you handling "overvoltage"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmkera View Post
Perhaps this is not the place to ask, but what is considered "overvoltage"? There are areas (like mine) where the daytime voltage seems to range from 115 to 125v during the day and peaks to 130-135v in the evening and weekends. Obviously I am concerned about my MediaCenter PC, plasma TV, etc.

What is considered "overvoltage" and what devices are you using to combat it? I currently have an APC Back-UPS HT 1500VA which claims to do power conditioning as well as UPS functions, but am not sure that its an optimal solution.
Listen, I asked Paul McGowan at PS Audio about your problem. This is what he said to me. Over voltage is a serious problem. He said at 135, your are borderline dangerous, but most well designed equipment should be OK. He also said, one of the dangers you face is over volting the power supply capacitors over time. Not a good thing. One of PS Audio`s Premier Power Plants would work perfectly he says.
Check Paul out at paul@psaudio.com.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #4

Default Re: How are you handling "overvoltage"?

My PurePower Audiophile APS nips this problem in the bud and puts out 1800 watts of power that is damn near perfect.

I would recomend this product to everybody who wants to feed their sources the BEST AC with battery backup protection. I might also suggest another one for your amps depending on the brand.
Sponsored Links

Tags
32, apc, aps, audio, backups, chicago, considered, dangers, handling, overvoltage, pc, plasma, tv, ups, voltage