Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > AC Power

AC Power Getting clean, reliable power to your system is a major topic. Discuss solutions and applications here.

Old 06-17-2009   #25
Administrator

Default Re: PurePower Introduces The World’s Most Powerful AC Regenerator For High End AV Sy

I don't want to put words in Loves mouth, er post, but I don't think he is saying a power conditioner is useless. It seems to me he is questioning the addition of a power conditioner being able to improve image quality on HDTVs. While getting rid of momentary glitches described would be an improvement to image quality, I don't think that is what was implied. Better blacks, more vibrant colors? That seems to be the thrust of his skepticism to me.

There was a time back when most all people had CRT based TVs and/or projectors that a good power conditioner could indeed improve image quality on TVs that were excellent in every way except their power supplies. Many, if not most, audio equipment would also be definitely improved with a good power conditioner. They almost always would be better served with regeneration power conditioners. But these are mostly analog devices that are tied to their power supplies. Power supplies that had poor recovery issues and there are more of these that many people think.

I used to DJ as a hobby in a past life and I would use an Audaire power amp with a DJ mixer and a DBX expander for added kick to the bass. I know, I know, but this was for a dance remember. If I tried to use a long extension cord I would have to bring in a power conditioner in order for the added draw cause by heavy bass to not interact with the amplifier. So the claim of sound improvement I can definitely agree with. Image improvement on the new digital displays, I'm not sure, although they can't hurt.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #26

Default Re: PurePower Introduces The World’s Most Powerful AC Regenerator For High End AV Sy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
I don't want to put words in Loves mouth, er post, but I don't think he is saying a power conditioner is useless. It seems to me he is questioning the addition of a power conditioner being able to improve image quality on HDTVs. While getting rid of momentary glitches described would be an improvement to image quality, I don't think that is what was implied. Better blacks, more vibrant colors? That seems to be the thrust of his skepticism to me..
Exactly...
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD123 View Post
From what I gather, it is your opinion that this product has no benefit at all? Many of us do see the benefit of this product.

Why is it that late night music listening is better than other times? Can there actually be variance in power? Yes, this can be proven with a simple volt meter in many homes. I for one like the fact that I have steady voltage at all times.

Electricity is the fuel for your system. Sure a car can run on regular, but if it is meant to run on premium; will you notice a difference? Maybe not around town, but open that thing up to get on the freeway or go up hills and your car sputters and pings. Same principle with the electrical power supply for your gear.

One benefit I saw immediately to my system was when a high draw item in our house kicked on (A/C, fridge). Before i used the PurePower unit I could see just a brief blink of voltage drop in picture and a little sound hiccup. I no longer have this problem. These are real world facts that I have seen in my system. Some places may have better regulated power so this may not be an issue. But for me it has been a benefit. This is not some imagined benefit, i see it with my own eyes.

I'm sorry you feel I am in attack mode. I'm not. I apparently have a passion for the product, that makes me want to defend it. I know that you have your feelings on it, and I respect that, but please dont come at us with no facts of your own. If you saw no benefit why not tell us what you did for testing that made you come to this conclusion. We would welcome facts from a engineer/scientist viewpoint.
Of course there is a benefit of having a power conditioner, I wouldn't run a home theater or computer system without one. Now with that being said, the validity of the claims of better video ( improvement in video quality, better blacks etc.) are where there is much doubt and I have not found that to be the case in any of my extensive testing.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Old 06-18-2009   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Of course there is a benefit of having a power conditioner, I wouldn't run a home theater or computer system without one. Now with that being said, the validity of the claims of better video ( improvement in video quality, better blacks etc.) are where there is much doubt and I have not found that to be the case in any of my extensive testing.
I have yet to see any power conditioner enhance output on digital displays.
Richard Gray's salesmen have been making this claim for years, too, and I don't believe them either.
If you want enhanced display output, an addition of a video processor in your system is the only thing I've seen make a difference, and, if you have a good digital display, the difference is so minute it's not worth the extra $1k+ to add a video processor.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Richard Gray's salesmen have been making this claim for years, too, and I don't believe them either.
If you want enhanced display output, an addition of a video processor in your system is the only thing I've seen make a difference, and, if you have a good digital display, the difference is so minute it's not worth the extra $1k+ to add a video processor.
And there you have it...
Old 06-19-2009   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
I switched from Richard Gray to PurePower - but the goal in using RGPC was protection, not chasing sales claims about esoteric visual improvements. I went to PurePower mostly for protection from brown-outs, regeneration and the battery back-up for my 65" Mit DLP - the fan needs to keep running after you shut down the TV to cool the lamp, and if it doesn't, it can shorten the lamp life. At $300 per, that's a worthy goal.

I think we've seen too much reaction that has been colored bythe thread title - PurePower Introduces The World’s Most Powerful AC Regenerator For High End AV System - which is salesy and over the top, and the ensuing debate has focused on that rather than the experiences of folks who use the equipment.

From my (layman's) perspective - although I did not buy it for this reason, I see definite (not placebo or kool-aid) video improvement from my previous set-up, which had the TV connected through an APS battery back-up/surge protector made for computers. It was not optimal, but afforded some protection for the lamp. Now, before you focus on the battery back-up as the sole cause of my speckled gray-blacks, it was the same before I used any battery back-up - with or without RGPC in the circuit. Insufficient power never entereed into the picture (pun not intended) - the home theater has always been powered by THREE brand-new, dedicated 20 amp circuits, the whole house is just 12 years old, and on a major power trunk of Florida Power and Light - we're on the same trunk as the hospital, always come back first after outage or hurricane.

We got sidetracked on the theme of the thread title - no one is saying to buy these for video improvement. My original post only noted that my customer service experience (remember that? The catalyst for the thread?) wasn't negative, and as an aside I noted an opinion that use of the equipment improved the picture quality. It's not a plug for the vendor, but sharing experiences with the group.
Celt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2000i, ac, aps, av, battery, conditioner, electricity, powerful, purepower, receiver, regenerator, singapore, sound, system, worlds