Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > AC Power

AC Power Getting clean, reliable power to your system is a major topic. Discuss solutions and applications here.

Old 04-12-2009   #13

Default Re: Audiophile APS 1050 Power Conditioner - More Than A Power Strip In A Box?

Hi-

Would you say the apc products are audiophile quality?

I'm not looking for regeneration/backup, just protection from spikes and surges.

Thanks
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #14
Administrator

Default Re: Audiophile APS 1050 Power Conditioner - More Than A Power Strip In A Box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
Hi-

I'm not looking for regeneration/backup, just protection from spikes and surges.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a lot of spikes and surges? If so, the regeneration would be recommended, otherwise a high joule rated surge protection may be all you need.

There are two different issues here. Spikes and surges usually indicate widely fluctuating power source which protection can't address by itself. If you are experiencing brown outs or voltage dips, the regeneration would be the way to go.

Here is some further general information on the subject: Power Conditioners vs. UPS

While that discusses UPS units, much of the discussion would also apply to regeneration conditioners.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
Hi-

Thanks
I have owned APC products and found them to be an excellent value. Hard to say if I would call it Audiophile quality. Rotel at one point was using APC to design power products for them, so maybe it would be considered mid-fi gear. I never had problems with my APC equipment when I had it and would still own it had not been for a contest winning APS 1050.
DMD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #16
Administrator

Default PM Question from mahdlokg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg
Living in the Houston area, I am sure you are familiar with relatively frequent brownouts, blackouts and/or surges. At least where we live we do. We had 3-4 outages in the past week during the rain. Are you using a UPS AND a regenerator? Also, I've always heard you never plud your power amp into a UPS or surge protecter as it limits its output. Is that what you have experienced? What units do you use personally for a HT or audio system? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
I do use a UPS for my HT system, but not the amplifiers. I use the surge outlets on the UPS for the amplifiers due to the reasoning you stated. If you get a large enough UPS it could be used for amplifiers provided it was the Line-Interactive UPS. With those the line is just conditioned with the inverter only supplying power when the line power is off or dipped. I use the UPS for my DVR and other equipment.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1050, ac, apc, aps, audio, audiophile, av, conditioner, end, h15, power, powerstrips, regeneration, review, strip