Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   AC Power (http://www.avrev.com/forum/ac-power-16/)
-   -   How long until a CA brown out? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/ac-power/243-how-long-until-ca-brown-out.html)

JerryDelColliano 07-06-2007 04:08 PM

How long until a CA brown out?

It wont be long with this heat in early July that the power grid will see brown outs.

While the likes of Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling might be dead or in jail (not sure which one is better) the days of California needing more power are here yet the resources are likely not. News reports say that "rolling brown outs" are headed to CA. I wouldn't be surprized at all.

I use battery backup and power regeneration in my rack with Pure Power. I also use a Richard Gray's 1200s mainly for surge protection. I think the two together are a nice solution considering how poor the power is here. Spikes, sags, lower voltages and brown outs only start to describe the problem.

Our fearless (or brainless) president is spending 1.4 trillion dollars taking over Iraq resulting in $3.50 per gallon gas in Los Angeles yet we don't invest in upgrading our power grid. If Google can buy more companies to grow and deversify its business - why can't our government do the same with our tax dollars? I mean Jeez, California is only the 5th largest economy in the world. Where do the people in the "red states" think the money is coming from to pay for thier pet projects and pork. Hollywood, San Fran and New York - mainly.

deacongreg 07-08-2007 02:20 PM

Re: How long until a CA brown out?

Jerry,
You make a real good point here. In New York, Con Edison the last couple of years, has had quite a few problems. Last summer, certain sections of Queens where out for 9 days. Can you believe that? 9 DAYS!! A couple of weeks ago, we had some power outages that shut down the 4, 5, and 6 trains and Grand Central, and parts of the Bronx, for about 1 hour. And yep, it was during the rush hour. Our mayor Bloomberg tried to down play it down.

Well, its 92 degres now, and its going to 95 tomorrow and tuesday, tomorrow its supposed to feel like 105. So, we will see what happens.

Our tax dollars, that is a another whole issue unto itself.

Like your solution to power and surge protection. I guess you can never be to careful.

Brian 07-10-2007 12:30 PM

Can't really blame Bush for California's power problems. The California electrical system is run by a public benefit corporation that manages all of the high voltage power in the state. The Federal Gov't has almost nothing to do with California's power.
Brian

AudioGuy2007 08-15-2007 06:01 PM

There is track lighting in my office that always dips and burns out the lightbulbs quite quickly.

I can imagine its doing the same to my audio and video gear that isnt protected.

JerryDelColliano 08-17-2007 07:22 AM

You need a Richard Grays Power Company RGPC1200s for your lights!!!!

Watermonkey 10-20-2007 04:40 PM

I think it's way way past time we all started taking some responsibility for our own situation here on this planet. If you're able, Jerry, buy 10kw of solar PVCs and have them installed on your roof at home. Maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing roof, but you'll own your own electric company and when there are outages, you'll have only yourself to blame. Build a shed next to the house and buy a nice large battery bank for backup. Add some high-end inverters with true sine wave output and you won't even need all that expensive Richard Grey equipment in your racks. Don't tell us you can't afford it, Jerry. LEAD the charge! I want to hear your success story bucking the tide of Edison Power! Show us how to thumb your nose at the utility's dirty electricity and brown-outs!