Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > AC Power

AC Power Getting clean, reliable power to your system is a major topic. Discuss solutions and applications here.

Old 03-23-2007   #1
Administrator

Default Brown outs in your area...

Post if you have had voltage sags or brown-outs in your area...
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #2

Default Re: Brown outs in your area...

This is really a trick question. Of course, everybody is having brownouts, all the time these days. What's a brownout? Anything less than perfect voltage of 120v. 110v is a brownout. Why does that matter? Because your amp is rated at 120v, not 110v. Without the right voltage, its power will decline by almost 10% in this case. That is heard as a drop in dynamic range in your system, like its lifeless.

Get an AC Regenerator like the PurePower APS to totally isloate your system from whatever is happening on the utility line.
Bob Rapoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #3

I work in West Los Angeles and I notice huge dips in voltage and the lights dim a few times a week. I dont notice it much at home but I'm sure if I was ever home during the day at peak time, I'd notice it there too. I was thinking of getting a battery backup for my theater becuase i dont want to fry the bulb of my rear projection TV if the power ever goes out or sags big time. Ive looked at APC's but they dont seem to add any performance benefits like the stuff from Audiophile APS, Exact Power or PS Audio.
AudioGuy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #4

I recently moved to the Santa Clarita mountains and power or should I say power output is becoming a growing concern for me. Even during non peak hours I've seen my power drop down to 110v even...gulp...108v. I'm having new dedicated lines pulled to my rack in two weeks that I'm told will fix the problem. Ahhh, the pitfalls of older construction. The electrical situation in my house upon move in was horrible, in that all of my wall outlets and I do me ALL OF THEM were on one 15 circuit. In fact my garage had better, cleaner power than all of my house. Hell, my backyard has more dedicated circuits in it then my old condo which was brand new construction tailored to my needs. These new dedicated lines will be the second time in 6 months that I've had to open up my walls in an attempt to bring more juice into my house. When everything is said and done I will have dedicated 20 lines in each room in my house just for my gear.

The few times my system has dipped to 110v I've had to simply turn it off for the music/movies sound like total crap. Who ever thinks power doesn't matter obviously doesn't listen to music or movies. I feel power is nearly as important as your room.

Andrew
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #5

Smile Re: Brown outs in your area...

So here begs the question, Andrew, what is the best to get? I have seen my lights dim and go out here to.

A power conditioner, AC regenerator, Richard Gray, PS audio, Shunyata, this arena to me, is almost as crazy as cables. No question you need ample and clean power, but can you effectively filter, re-generate, analyze what is in your walls, and not effect the sound?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #6

Personally I use Richard Gray products for all of my systems, and they do the trick for me, but like the old saying goes, "garbage in, garbage out." What goes into the home is as big a factor as what you use to "clean" it. I can't really speak to indepth as my issues start at the wall. Assuming you have good quality power all the time then Richard Gray is as good as it gets IMHO. I don't have a lot of experience with PS Audio. I've used Monster products in the past and have been happy with them (happy with the price too) but for reference gear or something similar I trust Richard. Although I do hear the APS stuff is quite good. I believe Jerry uses a combo of Gray and APS in his reference system. I know Southard likes Transparent Cable's latest power conditioner too. Just food for thought.

Andrew
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, az, brown, brownouts, dedicated, exactpower, ground, homes, magnetronics, outlets, outs, phoenix, pole, ps, shape, transformer