Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   AC Power (http://www.avrev.com/forum/ac-power-16/)
-   -   Which power supply??? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/ac-power/1508-power-supply.html)

BMW 01-28-2008 12:52 PM

Which power supply???

I have a big screen, Direct TV, JL Sub, Onkyo Receiver, soon to be anthem and a Oppo player. Went to best Buy and saw Panamax M4300, 5100 and the next model up. I also saw the 5300 on line for close out prices. Best Buy also had the Monster HTS1600 and MDHDP 240. Any recommendations on what I need as I don't want to replace it when I upgrade various components of my system. I also don't want to buy something that I don't need.
Thanks guys..BMW

deacongreg 01-31-2008 09:50 PM

Re: Which power supply???

What are you willing to spend on this purchase? Because if budget is a requirement, Panamax, makes some very nice stuff at reasonable price ranges. I would go on line and check them out.

JerryDelColliano 02-03-2008 10:11 AM

Good investment on the JL sub. I really like those.

Have you looked at the Pure Power 700 that Ken Taraszka reviewed this month in AVRev.com. Its what I use and it is in a class above the other AC power products. FULL power regeneration. COMPLETELY off the grid. Battery backup and more. Its a little expensive vs. your system but I would rather see you buy the small Pure Power than waste $400 on something that doesn't do much.

http://avrev.com/equip/purepoweraps_purepower700/

A cheaper solution is the Ultralink unit. Unlike other surge protection devices - if it gets hit - it dies INSTEAD of leaving your system compromise. This is VERY cool as you don't want your protection to be sitting there useless like most power strips do if they ever takes a hit.

I hope this helps...

j

kennyt 02-06-2008 05:53 AM

I have to agree with Jerry. The PurePower stuff is amazing! I have learned a lot about power regeneration since I started with this piece and have found many super high end products have in fact had there own power regeneration built in. Some famous ones are the Mark Levinson #33 monoblocks, 31.5 and 30.5 transport and DAC, and have heard rumors (not sure) that the new Krell Evo line also does this.

From what I found from the use of the PurePower, it seems smart. I have fought power for a while, and been through multiple power conditioners, but none had the impact of the good regenerator, add to that the battery backup and the fact I no longer fear surges, spikes, or transient power outages (which I get a lot of in Florida) and this thing is worth more than it's weight in gold!

If this is too pricey for you, and I can understand that for a smaller system, the Panamax and Ultralink units suggested above are the ONLY power conditioners that will truly protect your system. Most power pieces will save you from ONE severe surge, then continue to function WITHOUT protection. That's sort of like saying well I used a condom once with her... It just makes no sense! The Ultralink models will take a hit and then NOT WORK protecting you from the next strike! Monster and others will pass the next hit, so it give you a false sense of security. you think your gear is protected, and it may be, but you have no way of knowing if it truly is or not.

rolexdaytona 02-06-2008 07:33 PM

It would be great if a review could include some type of test showing how much it took to "trip" the power supply.

kennyt 02-23-2008 11:00 AM

rolexdaytona (I hope it's steel though I like the new white gold with red and black face but I digress)

I have had this thing running my entire HT except the amp for the rears and have had lightning flash the lights through the whole house and my system didn't so much as hiccup (I did need to turn the rear amp back on after) but that is a pretty good testament in my mind.