Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   AC Power (http://www.avrev.com/forum/ac-power-16/)
-   -   Shunyata Research (http://www.avrev.com/forum/ac-power/1439-shunyata-research.html)

glocksout 01-11-2008 12:22 PM

Shunyata Research

I've read nothing but good things about Shunyata. They're used as reference by many reviewers and in such highly regarded places like LucasArts' Skywalker Sound. Is AV Rev going to review this equipment?

Lotus 01-19-2008 02:42 PM

Re: Shunyata Research

Depends on what you read.

I've read specific scientific reports on their "Cryo,"work being total bunk.

However the Helix design they use and the electromagentic breakers are what makes their products really great.

I don't know if they really need to use their Cryo process on all their products, but I like the sound of them.

I've been told IsoTek offers similar results at half the cost. So I've been trying to find out more about them.

deacongreg 01-23-2008 08:57 PM

Yes, I`ve read positive material on Shunyata as well. But, don`t know of anyone that actually owns their conditioners.

TheDamned 09-21-2008 12:56 PM

Bringing this post back from the dead to provide some info on my experience with this brand.

I recently purchased a Hydra 6 from Shunyata and have been very happy with the improvements it has made in my system. The Hydra 6 is only servicing my front end components as I believe it's not really meant to handle high current amplifiers being hooked up to it. Along with the Hydra 6 I am also using a Shunyata Python Helix power cable, a dedicated 20amp circuit with 10 gauge wiring and an AV Grade PS Audio receptacle. Also to note, these upgrades were introduced into the system independent of each other. The dedicated 20amp circuit, wiring and receptacle came after the Hydra 6/Python combo.

The Hydra 6/Python combo has successfully revealed new details in every song that I have played thru my system so far; even before the dedicated line came into play. I never thought that the sound of silence would be so noticeable but when the music passages become quite I can hear finite details that were certainly missing/masked before.

The benefits of introducing a dedicated circuit into your system are well documented and in my case this upgrade has done wonders in firming up bass response and adding more volume to the system on musical transients. During a very unscientific test I noticed that having the volume control set to the same position on my preamp as it was before the dedicated line now seems to produce a higher SPL in the listening room after the upgrade. I guess those results aren't too much of a shocker considering the fact that I now have a 10gauge wire going from the power panel in the basement all the way to the Hydra 6. This is possible thanks to the Python Helix cord also using a 10gague internal wire.

Based on my experience with the Shunyata products I would highly recommend them to anyone who is looking to extract those last few musical details that were there all along but are going unnoticed in their system.