View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008   #15
deacongreg

Thumbs up Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
I had a DC-300 long ago and miss it... We used it as a main in our band.

One of my best friends in college (Actually the low brass instructor there) had a pair of Carver Cubes and the Phase Linear Peak Unlimiter/Auto Correlator - these were connected to a pair Klipschorns. Those brought real excitement to recorded music. I bought my Sunfire Theatre Grand MK II A/V preamp and Signature Amplifier on a combination of an impressive audition and the strength of the Phase Linear and Carver equipment that preceded it. I have not been disappointed. As I stated in another forum, I wish Bob would come up with a more compelling reason to replace it with something newer from him (Aka another revolutionary thing I cannot live without that does everything I want).

I inherited those K-horns from him, and still enjoy them today. I am trying to pick up another pair plus a Belle or LaScala so I can match the sound for the rear and center of my system. The system is hilarious, since there is no way you can drive the K-horns to a level that can stress the Sunfire. (K-horns are only rated at 100 watts/400 watts peak, and my Sunfire produces 405 watts RMS X 5). I drive the tops with current mode to take some of the edge off, and the bottoms in voltage mode for tight bass.
Yes, Now we are talking, the old fan favorite, the Crown DC-300. Great sound, good tight bass, reliable to a T. A great amp. Glad you had a chance to enjoy them as well. That is good news on the Sunfire. They must drive the hell out of the Klipsch`s, they are so efficient. When you get the LaScala`s, your system should sound great.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote