View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008   #12
kloneman
Super Moderator

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Without question the old "Crown Amplifiers" Made here, sounded great, and were definitely virtually indestructible. Used by many deejays. Those amps should be resurrected.
I had a DC-300 long ago and miss it... We used it as a main in our band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
And of course, huge power, built like a tank as well, know one knew him really then, Mr. bob Carver, but The Phase linear 700 power amp. Could play really loud with low distortion. And the Holographic preamp. A history maker, way way ahead of its time. And kennyt is right, I loved the Carver cube amp as well. He should make it again. Its small, full of power. Look what Bel Canto is doing!! It would fit where a Mark Levinson or Mcintosh could not.
One of my best friends in college (Actually the low brass instructor there) had a pair of Carver Cubes and the Phase Linear Peak Unlimiter/Auto Correlator - these were connected to a pair Klipschorns. Those brought real excitement to recorded music. I bought my Sunfire Theatre Grand MK II A/V preamp and Signature Amplifier on a combination of an impressive audition and the strength of the Phase Linear and Carver equipment that preceded it. I have not been disappointed. As I stated in another forum, I wish Bob would come up with a more compelling reason to replace it with something newer from him (Aka another revolutionary thing I cannot live without that does everything I want).

I inherited those K-horns from him, and still enjoy them today. I am trying to pick up another pair plus a Belle or LaScala so I can match the sound for the rear and center of my system. The system is hilarious, since there is no way you can drive the K-horns to a level that can stress the Sunfire. (K-horns are only rated at 100 watts/400 watts peak, and my Sunfire produces 405 watts RMS X 5). I drive the tops with current mode to take some of the edge off, and the bottoms in voltage mode for tight bass.

Last edited by kloneman; 01-24-2008 at 09:00 AM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links