View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008   #22
kloneman
Super Moderator

Default Re: Why Apple hasn't put a bluray or hd-dvd player in their computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The key word there is the word "should," but give me a Mac and I can code you up something that will make it crash.
Give me a Windows PC and I (or most malcontent kids) can make it crash with ease. The ones people use at my workplace are so burdoned with "scanning/protection" software that they are as slow as molasses, even when brand new. Incompatability with legacy programs are all too common. Cadres of "Support people" are required to keep them in some semblance of a running condition, even in a "managed desktop" (locked business application) environment.

Quote:
As mentioned before my Falcons have never crashed not surfing the web or using work applications. It just hasn't happened.
Your example almost states "Don't use the PC for anything and it won't dissapoint." My Macintoshes have never crashed while surfing the web or even serving it. The problems I have experienced are attributable to hardware failures - lightning strikes, hard disk failures, etc. The worst of these probably are (1) the poor design of the prior generation of laptop power supplies, which is addressed in the current offerings, and (2) the higher failure rate of the IDE based drives over their SCSI counterparts - alas that is the price we pay for commodity high capacity storage.

As I stated previously, my systems are under a constant attack from malware trying to plant viral code, cause buffer overflows or php script execution to obtain a command line to elevate privelege, with the intent of running Windows adminstrative commands - all to no avail. I know they are windows computers because my web servers record the cpu and OS type along with the Browser name string for all access attempts. The mail server does something similar. The worst they can do is overload my pipe and bring down the connection. I have no power to stop that.

Pre- Mac-OS X versions of the Macintosh had memory management and cooperative multi-tasking problems, as well as "extensions conflicts" that were the root of instability. Mac OS X removed all of these, though it is still possible to create a kernel extension that will misbehave and bring down everything. The windowing system (finder) can also be made to crash, and sometimes it will not be possible to restart it automatically. This is actually different than a system crash in that if you have access to the underlying OS, you can spawn a new instance from a command line. If the OS is truly down, then this is impossible.

Quote:
Only poorly coded games lock up the machine and generally it's a bug that needs an update to fix it.
The word "update" you use is just the same as the phrase "software update" I used in my prior comments. I assert that this is not a true fix for the real problem. I also assert that the Macintosh is acquiring many of the undesirable charecteristics of Windows PCs, including the dribbleware update, rather than design, that is not released until it is is correct. Prior versions of the Mac OS had few of these, but now there is a fairly constant stream of them. I'm no insider, so I do not know how many of them are do to poorly designed software, and how many are work-arounds for the commodity hardware now being used.

Lets get back to the thread topic - My comment on that point is I do not know why Apple doesn't put an HD player in their computers, other than perhaps a cost sensitivity issue. I do know that they provide a means to create HD content in their "iLife" suite for consumers and in their 'Final Cut Studio" product for professionals, and have been doing so for years. They announced early on their support for BluRay, and I for one wish they'd get with the program and install that BD RW disk in their laptops.

Last edited by kloneman; 01-24-2008 at 07:58 AM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote