View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008   #32
kloneman
Super Moderator

Default Re: Study Shows "Non-Audiophiles" Can't Hear Difference Between 64 and 256 kbps MP3 F

My wife and I owned a pair of Acuras (and I gave my TL type S to my daughter for a graduation present). The Bose sound systems within tham are the most dissapointing peices of equipment in otherwise exceptional vehicles. The integration with the other parts of the car electronics and crazy speaker cut-outs also make it difficult to find a good replacement.

At one point I tried to find something that will replace them, but I've been disenchanted with the aftermarket stuff I've seen lately - head units with all kinds of flashing displays and too many chicklet buttons, but not built to last, and frankly don't sound good.

Speakers that are made to appear rather than sound good, etc. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places though. The last time I was satisfied with a car system, I hand picked the amplifers, designed the interfaces between them and the other components (that were not made to work together), hand selected all drivers, broke them in individually, watching the FAR lower over time with an SA, and when it stopped moving down I designed, built and tuned the enclosures and crossover networks myself to make the best use of them when installed in the vehicle. I don't think I have the patience to go through that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'm sorry but I've sat in an Acura. It doesn't make for a good sound system.

Cars are about base and clarity with little thought towards sound stage and imaging.

I used to agree and think Bose was "pretty good," for cars but then I sat in a Volvo and heard the Dynaudio system they had. It actually sounded good.

That experience totally changed my opinion of Bose and made me realise that the only reason Bose was considered decent in cars was that the competition wasn't as serious as in home stereo.

Last edited by kloneman; 01-21-2008 at 11:55 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote