View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008   #1
jimmydaves

Default Definitive Technology Mythos ST

Hey everyone:

I've read nothing but raves about the Mythos ST and Mythos Ten Center Channel speaker, here at Avrev and every other publication.

I've auditioned the Mythos ST's with the Mythos Ten and thought they were very, very good speakers. There really wasn't any weaknesses that I could zero in on and the bass and dynamics seemed effortless. I auditioned these without the sub because I wanted to see how much bass they could pump out.

My use for speakers is going to be about 90% home theater and the Paradigm Studio Reference (100's, CC690, ADP590) speakers were going to be my original choice, but after reading the reviews and auditioning the Mythos ST I've "hit the wall" and cannot seem to make a decision now.

The review here on Avrev pretty much confirmed my impressions of the Paradigm Studio Reference. The review on the Definitive Technology Mythos ST speakers created a lot more excitement. I'd love to have the Mythos ST's as both mains and surrounds as the reviewer did in his review and since the reviews of the Def Tech's and Paradigm speakers were done by the same reviewer, I'd love to pick his brain about these two systems.

I don't see how anyone could go wrong with the Paradigm setup. For me, I feel that the center speaker is a deal breaker when it comes to home theater systems. It's quite a chore and tedious to watch a movie and not have clear dialogue. I've listened to so many "high end" speakers only to find out the center channel speakers fell short and were a disappointment. I felt that the Paradigm CC690 was probably one the ultimate center channel speakers arround which was making my decision towards a Paradigm HT easy. The Mythos Ten was good as a center as well and mated very well with the ST's.

The review on the Paradigms was very good here on Avrev and I didn't think another speaker system could match it on the price/performance side. Then the Mythos ST review comes along and it's so good, the reviewer is keeping the speakers. I guess what I'd like to know is: Was there anything that the Paradigms did better than the Mythos ST's?

How would these two home theater systems match if the reviewer used the Def Tech Gems as surrounds instead of another pair of Mythos ST's? (After reading the review, I can't imaging owning the Mythos ST's system WITHOUT having the Mythos ST's as surrounds. It's just way too tempting to want to own that setup). I'd like to know how the Paradigm ADP590's surrounds compared to the Def Tech surround speakers and not just the Mythos ST's.

I'm looking forward to getting some good feedback and also thought it was a good time to create a thread about these amazing Def Tech Mythos ST's speakers. Thanks!
jimmydaves is offline   Reply With Quote